Re: sendmail port 25 and 587

From: Ashok Aiyar (aiyar@ebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu)
Date: 06/17/02

From: Ashok Aiyar <aiyar@ebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu>
Date: 17 Jun 2002 14:20:05 GMT

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:16:04 GMT,
    Anonymous (nobody@nowhere.co.uk) wrote:

> Can people tell me if these ports(as shown by nmap) when
> sendmail is running in deamon mode safe??.

They are as safe as your sendmail installation in. Are you running
sendmail SUID root? Are you version a (recent) version that doesn't
have any buffer overflows?

Ashok

--
Ashok Aiyar
RLU #51601

Relevant Pages

  • Re: FC1 sendmail service questions
    ... > It is need for local mail and it is safe to leave running. ... > The default configuration is to only respond to requests from the local host ... As far as I know sendmail is safe when it is setup to only listen to the ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: What version of BSD should I use
    ... Sendmail works fine in FreeBSD 4.8. ... If you pick another product to be "safe", ... As I said in my last email, people find holes in popular ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • sendmail port 25 and 587
    ... Can people tell me if these ports(as shown by nmap) when ... sendmail is running in deamon mode safe??. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • sendmail port 25 and 587
    ... Can people tell me if these ports(as shown by nmap) when ... sendmail is running in deamon mode safe??. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Making Web Form Data Safe
    ... I'd appreciate hearing people's thoughts on making web form data ... safe for using to compose an email via sendmail. ... my $query = new CGI; ...
    (perl.beginners)