Re: ipchains too old?

From: Tim Haynes (usenet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk)
Date: 06/11/02

From: Tim Haynes <usenet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk>
Date: 11 Jun 2002 09:27:39 +0100

Hal Burgiss <hal@burgiss.net> writes:

> > `Released stock kernel'? I'm hoping we don't mean RH or Mandrake's
> > idea of a "kernel package", ffs...
>
> Leave Mdk out, but yes that is exactly what I mean. Why? Who is
> ultimately responsible for RH kernels? Alan Cox, David Miller, Stephen
> Tweedie, etc. Plus they go through extensive testing on a range of
> different hardware. So, yes, I think the _chances_ of hitting a show
> stopping bug are considerably less. Certainly, not impossible, but less
> likely. I don't think they've released a kernel that corrupted inodes fer
> instance.
>
> I still prefer to build from their supplied source, removing the tons of
> cruft that go with it :/ But yes, I trust A. Cox more than Linus where
> stability is important, sorry...

But RH kernels != ac kernels, even in the days where ac was maintaining the
stable tree. As with most distros, they have their own set of patches that
have evolved over time, but I really doubt that just because ac works for
RH, they use exactly that kernel branch.

I still prefer to use the vanilla linus tree as a start-point, and apply a
few patches for the specific hardware if need be (or, better, tailor your
peripherals to the optimum driver compatibility). That's nice & minimal and
you can expect more developer types to be using it if you manage to hit a
snag.

I could say that RH have fewer patches than Mandrake in their stock distro
kernel, but that's like saying my local pond is smaller than the Atlantic,
though ;)

[snip, nowt to add]

~Tim

--
There's peat smoke rising                   |piglet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk
>From the village chimneys                   |http://spodzone.org.uk/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: "exception Emask: 0x42" errors with 2.6.22.x and SATA drives
    ... On Friday 24 August 2007 20:20:02 Alan Cox wrote: ... and now 2.6.22.5 kernels. ... I get the feeling this problem is independent of the APIC errors, ... it's very possibly just the drive not properly supporting NCQ. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: ipchains too old?
    ... > ultimately responsible for RH kernels? ... Alan Cox, David Miller, Stephen ... few patches for the specific hardware if need be (or, better, tailor your ... I could say that RH have fewer patches than Mandrake in their stock distro ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • [Full-Disclosure] RE: i386 Linux kernel DoS (fixed)
    ... The fix for 2.4 kernels was posted today by Alan Cox: ... the first version of the DoS I posted on bugtraq was ... > Christophe Devine ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: [ACPI] acpi problem with nforce motherboards and ethernet
    ... it was turning off AGP fast writes or 8x or ... I'll check my cmos settings in a bit and refresh my memory. ... previous mm kernels but now are droped because they caused some ... I patch each kernel I use with the two patches Andrew sent to me ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: meye bug? (was: meye driver update)
    ... > ran various 2.6.* kernels on this recently acquired laptop, ... 2.6.10-rc1 + your patches. ... Roland Mas ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)