Re: you don't exist ! Go away !

From: Wojtek Walczak (gminick@hacker.pl)
Date: 06/08/02

From: Wojtek Walczak <gminick@hacker.pl>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 11:06:56 +0000 (UTC)

Dnia Sat, 08 Jun 2002 03:23:48 GMT, Henri Toivonen napisał(a):
>>>The subject of this message is what I get when I try to openssh to my linux
>>>box. Any ideas anyone ? Any white papers for ssh ? Any docs ??
>> Contact your administrator, he has simply deleted you from /etc/passwd :)
> Nah, you get a different kind of error then.
No, you don't ;)

openssh v3.2.3p1 (but I remember it from older version):
ssh.c line 285:

        pw = getpwuid(original_real_uid);
        if (!pw) {
                log("You don't exist, go away!");
                exit(1);
        }

So, let's try it, on user... tescik ;)

gminick$ su tescik
Password:
tescik$ _

so, we are now logged in as user tescik.
now, let's delete that user from a root console

# userdel tescik

and now, from console of user tescik let's try to log in somewhere
with ssh.

tescik$ ssh <IP_NUMBER>
You don't exist, go away!
tescik$

So, IMHO what I said is true, but I should add just two little words:
"your local", and my answer should look like this one below:

"Contact your administrator, he has simply deleted you from
 your local /etc/passwd :)"

--
[ Wojtek gminick Walczak ][ http://hacker.pl/gminick/ ]
[ gminick (at) hacker.pl ][ gminick (at) klub.chip.pl ]