Re: Why a stack with exec flag?

From: David (thunderbolt01@netscape.net)
Date: 06/05/02

From: David <thunderbolt01@netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 17:08:15 GMT

Stephane Chauveau wrote:
> Hi,
> I noticed that on Linux-x86, the stack is mapped with "rwx" flags.
> Other parts of memory usually have "r-x" for code and "rw-" for data.

[snip]

> Is there a good reason to allow execution in the stack?
> Is it possible to change that to prevent attacks via buffer overflow?

Depending which kernel you are using you might find one of these links
to be what you are looking for.

http://www.openwall.com/linux/

http://www.grsecurity.net/

--
   Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Other JSF options
    ... the point of firm positions of disagreement, so my comments below will be ... <snip stuff there is no use arguing further> ... Nor, AFAIR, did the GAO claim that the M60A3 was "inherently" a better tank ... And of course the reason, most of the reason for the current slip was the ...
    (rec.aviation.military)
  • Re: Obstacles for Tcl/Tk commercial application development ?
    ... this is no problem: the compiler will refuse to ... previous message, it is impossible to check all execution paths, ... kilometers, which is clearly a type error. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: I know you guys would hate me for this....
    ... usually just snip them. ... the reason why we are responding to it, but merely responding for the sake ... of being sensitive to your cat. ... If Ranmao wants a hug, ...
    (rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons)
  • Re: I want to learn forth but...
    ... on each pass of the loop. ... deeper in the execution stack. ... memory, and the part I quoted gave another loop approach (cyclic ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: OT:Thanksgiving
    ... tentative excuse, but not the reason. ... Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; ... the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery - subordination to ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)