Re: security newbie - /var/log/messages scans

From: David (thunderbolt01@netscape.net)
Date: 06/03/02

From: David <thunderbolt01@netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 00:41:34 GMT

tux lover wrote:
> this is my ipchains script:
> http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/tips/firewall/firewallservice.html

[snip]

> not that i can see.

Ok. The catch all rule for the output side of that firewall is rule #6,
but not rule #6 for the firewall if you haven't made any changes.

As root run the following to see what it shows.

ipchains -L output
OR:
ipchains -L output --line-numbers

--
   Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IPChains
    ... Dans sa prose, Dan Evans nous ecrivait: ... > An unusual problem with IPChains. ... > goes through the firewall OK, with it turned off, all traffic is ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: iptables firewall script for linux
    ... "ipchains: Incompatible with this kernel". ... port is shown as LISTENING. ... What's wrong with reading the HOWTOs? ... included for their basic firewall concepts. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • How to reset firewall settings ?
    ... dhcp server until I decided to put some firewall on it. ... Webmin module for ipchains, which accepted to let traffic pass through the ... I'm new to Linux systems and all I have left on my ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: lighting---hacked!
    ... no firewall will protect a web server if the web server ... OP's "focus on ipchains is mis-directed" - I was disagreeing with you ... > One should not rely upon IPCHAINS to protect an insecure sshd daemon. ... > firewall a server is to create a protected DMZ BEHIND a pure ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)