What is the passwd- file?

From: Wall Street (wall_st@iname.com)
Date: 06/01/02

From: Wall Street <wall_st@iname.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 18:43:32 GMT

I've been given a Debian 2.x system to regain control of. I've booted
into single user mode by using:

linux ini=/bin/bash

at the LILO prompt, and it gets me to the prompt. I've then edited
the passwd file, removing root's passwd (leaving just ::) and then
shutting down the system.

When it boots back up, though, nothing has changed! I boot back into
single and the passwd file is back to what it was! I know the file
system has been mounted rw, because I cat the passwd file when I've
made my changes, and it shows root with no passwd.

There are 2 things I am suspecting:

1. I cannot shut the system down correctly after making this change.
ctl-alt-del simply reboots the system. I guess in this mode, that key
sequence isn't being captured. And, running /sbin/shutdown r now
simply seems to hang the computer instead of actually rebooting it.
Is it possible that my changes are only in memory and are not being
flushed to disk?

2. There is a passwd- file and I have no idea what that is? Is it
somehow a protected copy that gets copied back over the original in
case of changes?

Thanks for any help!

Relevant Pages

  • What is the passwd- file?
    ... into single user mode by using: ... at the LILO prompt, and it gets me to the prompt. ... the passwd file, removing root's passwd and then ... ctl-alt-del simply reboots the system. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: What is the passwd- file?
    ... >> into single user mode by using: ... >> When it boots back up, though, nothing has changed! ... >> system has been mounted rw, because I cat the passwd file when I've ... >> simply seems to hang the computer instead of actually rebooting it. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: What is the passwd- file?
    ... >> into single user mode by using: ... >> When it boots back up, though, nothing has changed! ... >> system has been mounted rw, because I cat the passwd file when I've ... >> simply seems to hang the computer instead of actually rebooting it. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: What is the passwd- file?
    ... > into single user mode by using: ... > the passwd file, removing root's passwd and then ... > When it boots back up, though, nothing has changed! ... > simply seems to hang the computer instead of actually rebooting it. ...