Re: MS SQL Server ... want a bit of a laugh? ...

From: Joe (joe@jretrading.com)
Date: 05/31/02

From: Joe <joe@jretrading.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 20:24:46 +0100

In article <3CF71ECA.680BA452@bell-bird.com.au>, Luke Vogel <luke@bell-
bird.com.au> writes

>There is a good reason for that many servers ... I cant think of it
>right now, but I'm sure there is a good reason other wise Bill wouldn't
>have wanted it that way.
>
>I wonder if they have to pay for a licence for each box or do they get a
>site licence for the whole thing?
>
>You have to remember that there is so much overhead on each server
>because of all the gui, bells and whistles, and stuff, that they
>probably cant put more than one app on each box without them bogging
>down ...

No, you were right the first time. About 500 per server plus about 20
per client *per server*. 10 servers, 100 local clients or simultaneous
internet accesses, that's 10x500 + 1000x20...

Bill can afford to give away domestic Windows, but he hates to lose
server customers. What was it that Linux is best at, again?

--
Joe

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Should DCs with DNS point to self first?
    ... > when you have all locally, by doing so IMO you're wasting server ... > good reason to do so IMO. ... there are far more issues associated with pointing a DC at itself for primary DNS than pointing at something else. ...
  • Re: Recommended IMAP server
    ... Is there be any particular reason I should swap? ... pop3 mailboxes and passing it on to the imap server. ... > Trying to strip the HTML mail is quite a bit of a mess. ... tend to be much more attached to email clients. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Best way to get large files from a friend?
    ... |> people have "no reasonable expectation of privacy" with email. ... it moves from server to server to get to ... the vpn can intercept it without cracking the encryption. ... able to read people's emails unless there's a *really* good reason, ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Message Problem
    ... that msg reaches that server it could just get lost in cyberspace. ... that route will vary on any given day for any reason or no reason at all, ... cant be fixed, cant be helped, just something we have to learn to live with. ... "Alice in PA" wrote... ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: Backup Failing
    ... Directory Service Access auditing is enabled. ... and then click Server Management. ... Click Edit to open Group Policy Object Editor. ... >>> Reason: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)