Re: The best GUI for ipchains and/or iptables?

From: Alan Guy (nospam@myhouse.com)
Date: 05/23/02

    From: Alan Guy <nospam@myhouse.com>
    Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 20:56:27 -0400

    > Simple question: which is the best GUI for either ipchains or
    > iptables? Is their one that is much more popular than the
    > rest, or are none worth the hassle.

    Stephen, I came to linux from Windows where it was rare that I
    did anything NOT from a gui.

    When I came to Linux, just a few months ago the FIRST thing I
    wanted to do was get a firewall going. Just a stand-alone pc
    with a dial-up ISP.

    I struggled with iptables and felt I just couldn't get the hang
    of it. I was always questing for a nice gui to build the wall
    for me.

    What I found was the the GUIs were as complicated (to me) as
    the straight-up iptables were. For the most part they even
    seemed to require a pretty good working knowledge of iptables
    in order to create the rules via the GUI. If not, they were
    just complicated in their own right, with a learning curve
    seemingly as tough as the iptables themselves. And the *lack*
    of good firewalling really kept me from enjoying Linux.

    In desperation, one Saturday evening, I printed out all the
    iptables literature I had (just the basic tutorials really);
    sat down in the La-z-boy, kicked back with the Cartoon Channel
    (Ed, Edd and Eddie were on for 8 hours that night).

    In about 30 minutes it all fell in place. iptables just all of
    a sudden made sense to me.

    So after about 3 months of whatever it was that made me quest
    for a firewall GUI - I came to the same conclusion that most of
    the other folks have told you: the easiest and least
    complicated way for you to firewall with Linux is to do it
    yourself. Honest-to-God, that's the truth.

    If you *insist* on questing for that GUI, your just wasting
    time and in the end - you're STILL gonna wind up *thinking* in
    iptables, but pointing and clicking with a mouse at a GUI.
    It'll just take you longer to build the firewall you want.

    You'll get where you want to get FASTER, if you just knuckle
    down and learn the iptables from the git-go.

    Anyways, that's how *i* see it.

    hth - Alan

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: firestarter start failure?
      ... It writes to iptables firewall rules, and then is done, ... unless gui is open. ... Do I have to start Firestarter after I have rebooted? ... When Firestarter is installed from a package, the firewall ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Newbie: iptables, gui firewall suggestions
      ... > program to edit, view, add to the firewall rules that were set during my ... > simple, gui, a builder/editor not another startup program or service. ... > experience than me for a gui and/or an idiots guide to iptables. ...
      (RedHat)
    • Newbie: iptables, gui firewall suggestions
      ... I've been doing a net search on google for gui, iptables based firewall ... experience than me for a gui and/or an idiots guide to iptables. ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: firestarter start failure?
      ... It writes to iptables firewall rules, and then is done, ... unless gui is open. ... Do I have to start Firestarter after I have rebooted? ... When Firestarter is installed from a package, the firewall ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: F11 iptables cant disable
      ... I shouldn't see the GUI telling me its still running. ... If I configured a service to be disabled it should stay that way, and not run, after a reboot. ... That's for both ip6tables and iptables. ... The chkconfig command can control that, ...
      (Fedora)