Re: Root permission over the internet

From: Martin Bodenstedt (martin.bodenstedt@landtag-bw.de)
Date: 05/21/02

From: "Martin Bodenstedt" <martin.bodenstedt@landtag-bw.de>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 13:20:28 +0200

"Tim Haynes" <usenet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:86elg5ai1h.fsf@potato.vegetable.org.uk...
> "News" <lloydm@totalise.co.uk_nospam> writes:

> No I didn't, because you didn't SAY it's redhat. Duh.
>
> For your information, Linux is a kernel and the basis of any number of
> GNU distributions any of which may choose whatever version numbering they
> like, none of which reflects the version of Linux they're using.

C'm on, Your _are_ being picky:

everyone even remotely up to date on Linux distributions knows that "7.1"
does not denote a kernel version but a distrib (giving us all the kernel
version instead would have been more helpful, of course, but there are nicer
ways of pointing this out than yours!).

> Besides, for all I know you could be on SuSE or Mandrake or another planet
> altogether.
>
> "Picky", my arse. Try talking sense, as that way you can expect others to
> understand a word of it!

if you want to split hairs then please do so elsewhere...

> Read it again yourself. What do you expect setting a sticky bit on a perl
> script to achieve then?

<<< ... >>>

> Where does HTML come in as an access method???

If you must answer every question with a counter question then please don't
bother answering at all saving us all unnecessary reading.

If you think the original poster's idea does not make sense then please
explain your opinion so that we all can learn something. Ohterwise this
thread leads nowhere and is simply counterproductive.

just my thoughts...

--

Martin Bodenstedt

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Root permission over the internet
    ... >> GNU distributions any of which may choose whatever version numbering they ... none of which reflects the version of Linux they're using. ... > does not denote a kernel version but a distrib (giving us all the kernel ... you keep your comb in your wrong pocket. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Root permission over the internet
    ... >> GNU distributions any of which may choose whatever version numbering they ... none of which reflects the version of Linux they're using. ... > does not denote a kernel version but a distrib (giving us all the kernel ... you keep your comb in your wrong pocket. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 4 of 6)
    ... is maintained by the kernel while Linux is running. ... with /sbin/clock (now called hwclock in many distributions). ... Refer to: man 8 clock or man 8 hwclock. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)