Re: How to Set NIS Password Age?

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel@bellatlantic.net)
Date: 05/16/02

From: "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 09:29:42 GMT

"Ross" <Ross@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:4LvE8.22395$f5.1850664@news...
> Dear there,
> I am running NIS master server on Linux. It works very well.
> Unfortunately, NIS user's passwords are never expired. How to set the
user's
> password age?
> Thank you in advance.
> Ross

Dump NIS for this and other reasons. Proceed to LDAP or Kerberos.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to remove users "only" on NIS database?
    ... In the beginning hashed passwords were in the /etc/passwd file. ... that information over the network. ... Therefore with NIS the shadow file is made available. ... won't have local root. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Problems w/NIS Clients in Compat Mode
    ... I'm using OpenAFS for authentication and using NIS to push out the password maps. ... I'm using NIS compat mode, using netgroups to specify user account access to each machine. ... The problem with this is that they expire, causing the system to ask to change it (I don't want any local passwords). ... I'm specifically using NIS because it won't expire passwords; this is being controlled on the OpenAFS server side. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Sparc Solaris NIS client Linux NIS server
    ... >> I'll check over the nsswitch.conf and verify that its right. ... >> insecurities with NIS. ... If "shadow" passwords are enabled properly, ... once I get the authentication working I will ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: authentication question
    ... NIS has several problems. ... their passwords in the clear. ... in this case, though as when windows clients send encrypted passwords, ... > and have everything else authenticate off that. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: NIS: mixing FreeBSD and Linux machines
    ... > I've tried to use a NIS client on a Linux machine without success. ... Passwords are always refused. ... > One is that FreeBSD uses MD5 to encrypt the password and Linux DES. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)