NewB needs help understanding 'netstat' output

From: ken king (kenkingNOSPAM@knology.net)
Date: 05/13/02

From: ken king <kenkingNOSPAM@knology.net>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 19:22:21 -0500

I'm fairly new at Linux, so I really don't quite know what I'm doing,
but....
Occasionally I do "netstat -tuln" just to see that things don't change,
but today this is what I got.....

Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
State
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
----The following line (Port 515) didn't use to be there, but I've
installed a printer -- so that makes sense
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:515 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 192.168.1.1:139 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6000 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 192.168.1.1:137 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:137 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 192.168.1.1:138 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:138 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:*
---The following (port 635) USED to be "0.0.0.0:628" why would it
change???
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:635 0.0.0.0:*

(rpc.statd owns the last one and the ones on ports 32768)
Running red hat (basically default workstation install), using
masquerading for a home network (DHCP via cable). This box is also
running samba, imap, and sendmail for the internal network. Samba &
imap are bound to the internal i/f by thier config files & tcp wrappers.
Sendmail will not relay from an outside domain. Also, these ports are
closed to the outside i/f by firewall rules and scanning services have
confirm them closed.

I just can't think of anything I might have done to remove a service
from 628 (I'm not even smart enough to know what it was), let alone add
something to port 635 (I don't know what rpc.statd is).

Any help at understanding this?

thanks,
kk

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linux als Router
    ... # Enter all trusted network interfaces here. ... # which should be available to the internet and set FW_ROUTE to yes. ... space separated list of ports, ... # Packets to silently reject without log message. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: SharePoint 3.0: problems with external access
    ... "Go to 'Alternate Access Mappings' and in the 'Internet Zone' for your ... Port 443 won't work because it is already used by the Default Web Site. ... What you need to do is create a wildcard certificate and use it in ISA. ... The steps to publish WSS 3.0 applications behind ISA 2004 are the same ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: companyweb from RWW
    ... "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: ... internet should tell the tale, ... Les Connor [SBS Community Member - SBS MVP] ... This site is the default web site. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: "Offenes" SMTP-Relay mal anders
    ... Port 25/tcp jedes am Internet angeschlossenen Hosts fuer SMTP reserviert ... marmelade von genau diesem brot eine unerwuenschte handlung sei. ...
    (de.comp.security.misc)
  • Re: SharePoint 3.0: problems with external access
    ... Create a new certificate for the WSS 3.0 website? ... "Go to 'Alternate Access Mappings' and in the 'Internet Zone' for your ... Port 443 won't work because it is already used by the Default Web Site. ... What you need to do is create a wildcard certificate and use it in ISA. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)