Re: lighting---hacked!

From: Hal Burgiss (
Date: 05/09/02

From: Hal Burgiss <>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 14:11:57 GMT

On Thu, 09 May 2002 13:04:50 GMT, Clayton D Strand <> wrote:

> If Linux takes a full time 40 hour a week administrator to keep up
> with minimal issues like these, and what we have found so far is

This is only because the administrator(s) apparently don't have a grip
on what they are doing. If between you and your consultant, you can't
figure out ipchains, and can't install a functional sytem, then whoever
is in charge should hire somebody who can do these elemental things, or
pay to [better] train existing personel. It is *not* nearly so tough as
you make it out to be. So, please quite trying to make it into some
infathomable thing.

Hal Burgiss

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility
    ... >> that you're not very familiar with what's availible for AAA under Linux. ... And RADIUS servers can look to LDAP for user information. ... You can put them in a single replicated LDAP server. ... As an administrator, I can and do lock down Linux boxes. ...
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] [Fwd: Re: windows future]
    ... The OS is Debian Linux. ... programs may be run as administrator; ... I understand Windows also has similar fine grained controls. ...
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility
    ... Unix administrator at one time. ... Linux has those. ... some cases may be Windows as well). ... I seriously like the fact that Linux security is sponsored by people ...
  • Re: Durchbruch moeglich
    ... Linux auf dem Desktop laeuft ganz wunderbar, ... Aha, und jeder Heimanwender hat seinen eigenen Administrator, oder wie? ... erst von einem Experten eingerichtet werden muss. ...
  • Re: Vista security
    ... linux one has to 'su root' all the time). ... occurance of having to log out and log back in as an administrator, ... primary motivators. ... I have not had much of any real problem from this. ...