Re: lighting---hacked!

From: Hal Burgiss (hal@burgiss.net)
Date: 05/09/02

From: Hal Burgiss <hal@burgiss.net>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 14:11:57 GMT

On Thu, 09 May 2002 13:04:50 GMT, Clayton D Strand <cdstrand@lazotech.com> wrote:

> If Linux takes a full time 40 hour a week administrator to keep up
> with minimal issues like these, and what we have found so far is

This is only because the administrator(s) apparently don't have a grip
on what they are doing. If between you and your consultant, you can't
figure out ipchains, and can't install a functional sytem, then whoever
is in charge should hire somebody who can do these elemental things, or
pay to [better] train existing personel. It is *not* nearly so tough as
you make it out to be. So, please quite trying to make it into some
infathomable thing.

--
Hal Burgiss

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility
    ... >> that you're not very familiar with what's availible for AAA under Linux. ... And RADIUS servers can look to LDAP for user information. ... You can put them in a single replicated LDAP server. ... As an administrator, I can and do lock down Linux boxes. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] [Fwd: Re: windows future]
    ... The OS is Debian Linux. ... programs may be run as administrator; ... I understand Windows also has similar fine grained controls. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility
    ... Unix administrator at one time. ... Linux has those. ... some cases may be Windows as well). ... I seriously like the fact that Linux security is sponsored by people ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Durchbruch moeglich
    ... Linux auf dem Desktop laeuft ganz wunderbar, ... Aha, und jeder Heimanwender hat seinen eigenen Administrator, oder wie? ... erst von einem Experten eingerichtet werden muss. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: Vista security
    ... linux one has to 'su root' all the time). ... occurance of having to log out and log back in as an administrator, ... primary motivators. ... I have not had much of any real problem from this. ...
    (comp.lang.misc)