Re: RealPlayer and iptables

From: John Thompson (john@starfleet.attglobal.net)
Date: 05/07/02

From: John Thompson <john@starfleet.attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 13:21:04 GMT

In article <pan.2002.05.07.07.48.58.166330.1013@identecsolutions.de>, Anders Larsen wrote:

> John Thompson wrote:
>
>> I have been unable to configure iptables and/or RealPlayer to work
>> together. RealPlayer works fine on local files and without iptables, but
>> when iptables is running RealPlayer dies with "unable to connect" errors.
>> I have the following iptables rules:
> [snipped]

        [clip...]

> By far the easiest way to get the RealPlayer to work is to configure it
> to use http: as its transport protocol.
> You can then either have iptables forward port 80 or even use a Squid
> proxy.
>
> If you're running RealPlayer on the firewall, then
>
> iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A OUTPUT -o ppp0 -p tcp --dport 80 -m state --state NEW \
> -j ACCEPT
>
> should do the job.

OK. I have been using squid here on port 3128. Do I need to make any
modifications in the rules to reflect that?

Thanks...

--

-John (John.Thompson@attglobal.net)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RealPlayer and iptables
    ... > I have been unable to configure iptables and/or RealPlayer to work ... > I have the following iptables rules: ... anything (at least not from my windoze machine, which is the only machine i ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • RealPlayer and iptables
    ... I have been unable to configure iptables and/or RealPlayer to work ... RealPlayer works fine on local files and without iptables, ... when iptables is running RealPlayer dies with "unable to connect" errors. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • RE: redhat-list Digest, Vol 4, Issue 38
    ... Re: Iptables: port 22 open only for my IP ... Windows Services for Unix 3.5 ... It does absolutely nothing if you have a rampant application on your Windows box that opens a port to the outside world. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Firewall Rules Summary
    ... Subject: Firewall Rules Summary ... This script is provided "as is" with no implied warranty. ... this came from various howtos and articles on iptables that existed around ... #specific port denies>1024 tcp ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Linux IPTables tutorial pdfs and plain text available.
    ... What you are referring to here are CHAINS. ... create as a user-defined chain in my iptables scripts to reject traffic ... need to allow port 20/tcp only if you're using active FTP. ... This is actually not a bash script, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)