Re: Securing my Linux-pc? Worried....hacked?

From: Hal Burgiss (hal@burgiss.net)
Date: 05/04/02

From: Hal Burgiss <hal@burgiss.net>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 23:41:57 GMT

On 3 May 2002 15:37:14 -0700, Borge H <borgehaga@hotmail.com> wrote:
> GNOME. I turned the pc off and logged on again. I noticed that the
> "root" account had some mails. There were some "logWatch" messages
> about sshd and sendmail.

The content of these message just might be a nice starting point to
unraveling the mystery!

--
Hal Burgiss

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Making a dynamically-linked root
    ... The key advantage here is that you are removing ... > serialization that would otherwise cause both cpu cycles and disk ... Take sendmail for example. ... Methinks that Matt's suggestion of (sshd &) and alikes does indeed ...
    (freebsd-arch)
  • Re: IPFW Firewall Question
    ... I have tried this it did not work and the Co-Lo people are convinced that sshd and sendmail ... on freebsd works on the Application Layer instead of the ... Problem with today's modular software: ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: sshd boot-time delay
    ... Could somebody please remind me how to get rid of the boot-time delay ... when sshd starts! ... I suspect this is something to do with sshd's relation to DNS, ... sendmail enabled on a network with crappy reverse DNS resolving ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Securing Web Server
    ... Remove PHP (or at least obscure sendmail) and ... Is this "real" sendmail, or does postfix's sendmail replacement count ... or just the port where sshd usually is? ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: sshd boot-time delay
    ... of boot network services like httpd, ftpd, sqld, sshd start loading one ... boring me to death before the login prompt appears. ... The delay is not sshd related, it was in fact sendmail. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)