Re: problem with iptables

From: Andrew Carson (acarson@REMOVEiinet.net.au)
Date: 04/21/02

From: "Andrew Carson" <acarson@REMOVEiinet.net.au>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 21:03:15 +0800

Have a look to see if the ipchains module is loaded (use lsmod) if it is,
then you'll need to unload it before trying to
do anything with iptables. You'll probably find ipchains loads by default
when RH starts, so do a "chkconfig ipchains off"
to stop it from loading in the first place, and then to kill it, do "service
ipchains stop"

HTH

Andrew.

**********

**********
> What is the above problem ?????
>
> Some other doubts
>
> (1) I have dial up connection .....does 'iptables' automatically
> considers my dynamic ip address?
>
> (2) In which location should I need to save my 'iptables rules script
> ' in order to make it permanent?
>

> Please help me out
>
> cvk

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Prevent access to linux server when mac adress does not match ip adress
    ... Iptables has much more features than ipchain. ... Prior to the 2.2.x kernel, the firewall was controlled by "ipfwadm". ... introduced the IPCHAINS tool to control that. ... Often the upgrade is too big and bulky for the older ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: IPChains with RH 9? "Protocol not available"
    ... Yes, iptables is way more versatile than ipchains, and ipchains ... is no longer supported in the redhat kernel by default. ... is RH 9 stock kernel still support ipchains? ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: A Question On Ipchains Input Rules
    ... If RH72 allows using iptables instead of ipchains, ... return packets for any established connections, ... outbound SMTP sessions, you just allow outbound SMTP, and the ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: IPChains not working
    ... >>and changing a script from ipchains to iptables can take a while ... The only people for me are the mad ones -- the ones who are mad to live, ... the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Still getting the same IPTABLES errors in the kernel(2.4.17)
    ... > Did you turn off ipchains. ... >> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded. ... >> # IP: Netfilter Configuration ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)