Re: SSH IP Blocking

From: James Riden (s0197800@dai.ed.ac.uk)
Date: 04/18/02

From: James Riden <s0197800@dai.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 18 Apr 2002 17:04:42 +0100

Tim Haynes <usenet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk> writes:

> You're going to get *FAR* more one-port single-SYN scans, or occasional
> SYN+FIN scans, and never hear from the IP# again. Unless you *really* know
> better, I suggest you're going to waste your firewall rules on folks who're
> never coming back - do let me know if you get anything like >1% repeat
> offenders, right?

If you don't mind blocks instead of individual IPs, t-online and
wanadoo are far above 1%.

cheers,
 Jamie

--
James Riden / james.riden@ed.ac.uk
My opinions are my own, not the University's.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OT: Chris Christie
    ... You waste more time telling why ... I think nothermark posts what is in his mind. ... in his mind doesn't correlate to what other folks know and understand. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Puppetry of the Socks?
    ... I know what you mean about the 'HUGE waste of time'! ... just hard for folks to let go and ignore when the socks start taunting ... topics ~ I still am unable to search googlegroups archives at this time. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: OT: Chris Christie
    ... You waste more time telling why ... I think nothermark posts what is in his mind. ... in his mind doesn't correlate to what other folks know and understand. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: "Nebulous"
    ... :> Nah, some of these folks are merely a waste of good skin, consuming ... :> [I don't necessarily mean Renia in that, but there are lots of folks ... :As to the matter of who may, or who may not, be a waste of space, time and, ... :indeed, effort, this is, as the wee Glesca wifie wi ae tram said, " It's a ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)