Re: RedHat trying to access Internet

From: Proteus (nobody@this.address)
Date: 04/08/02

From: "Proteus" <nobody@this.address>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 01:29:23 GMT

In article <vo6s8.255585$Hu6.56095063@typhoon.neo.rr.com>, "David
Christman" <david@christmantech.com> wrote:

> I have set up RedHat as a firewall for my network. I am using IPTables.
>
> I am only allowing access to the internet from computers behind the
> firewall (and logging everything else)... ie. The firewall itself
> cannot access the internet.
>
> In my logs I see that the RedHat computer is trying to access the
> internet. Specifically it is trying to access 'rhn.redhat.com'.
>
> Can anybody tell me why this is happening, and how I can make it stop?
>
> Gratefully,
> David T. Christman

man rhnsd

Your system is trying to connect to the RedHat Network for system updates
and such.

If you prefer to just manually update:
service rhnsd stop
chkconfig rhnsd off

Relevant Pages

  • RE: can ping but not browse
    ... I have stopped the firewall. ... # are safed from all (security) hazards. ... firewall/bastion host to the internet ... # internet and to an internal network, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Using a Linksys router, should I also use Zonealarm?
    ... public internet to access corporate network. ... In the "old days" when people used to use Dial-In instead of VPN you ware ... protected by corporate Firewall -- since there was no public Internet ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • RE: Hidden Ports
    ... this is done by the firewalls to prevent authenticated files from being replaced by trojans and connecting to the internet. ... kerio firewall ... or a program that already had network access attempted to ... > Depending on the Access setting for a component, ZoneAlarm Pro ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Entire Network
    ... Internet access is different and just because a firewall isn't ... Second, if it isn't the firewall, then often it is a case of the system ... any way a network guru. ... > The network connection works just fine from both computers for internet ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Using a Linksys router, should I also use Zonealarm? Internet Acceptable Use Policy
    ... my browser's access to the Internet is restricted. ... I thought it was the company's firewall extending a slap on my ... > public internet to access corporate network. ... > NAT is Network Address Translation. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)