Re: Help, my machine has been hacked

From: Yan Seiner (yan@oberon.cardinal.lan)
Date: 04/08/02

From: "Yan Seiner" <yan@oberon.cardinal.lan>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 20:19:36 -0400

In article <pan.2002.04.05.21.03.58.274857.25385@polybus.com>, "B. Joshua
Rosen" <bjrosen@polybus.com> wrote:

> In <20020405.201944.441145689.20157@oberon.cardinal.lan>, Yan Seiner
> wrote:
snip...

> Do you have any recommendations for an iptable based firewall builder. I
> used PMfirewall to build my firewall with. PMfirewall is easy to use and
> it certainly seemed to be pretty comprehensive, however it would seem
> that it has failed me here, any recommendations for a good firewall
> builder would be appreciated.

I have not found any GUI based tools that are worth anything (IMHO - not
to start a flame war). I am a CLI retro-grouch, anyway. I don't trust
anything between me and the security tool. If I can't see it, I can't
understand it.

> Which DSL router are you using?, do you like it? how flexible is it?

ZyXel 642R. It's a pretty nice box. Only cost $99 from the phone
company. It works pretty well, has a decent firewall, and port forwards
stuff as well. There is a 642 bridge as well,; don't confuse th etwo.

> I've checked all of my machines for rootkits, they're all clean.

Did you run tcpcump to see what you're putting out on the net?

--Yan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Firewall help needed
    ... > have followed all the recommendations in other posts - regedit, ... > I downloaded a free trial of Trend-Micro PC-Cillin with a firewall. ... > cleaner among others. ... tools and updates from a different, ...
  • Re: Agnitum Anti-Spware False Positive???
    ... Thanks for the recommendations; I will do my own due diligence. ... It seems you are a decent soul, after all, peace. ... Securityfocus, ... perhaps you could suggest a decent software firewall that won't ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Recommendations needed
    ... I am seeking some recommendations for a new firewall. ... we are using a SonicWall TZ170. ... I have looked at the web sites for Cisco, etc, and I have to say I'm ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Help, my machine has been hacked
    ... > Do you have any recommendations for an iptable based firewall builder. ... > used PMfirewall to build my firewall with. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Whats the best firewall software for a single pc
    ... That's like asking which religion you believe is the best. ... yearly recommendations and I fail to recall who they recommended for 2002 ... As a firewall administrator, I see traffic from home systems I ... product allow you to assign your mail server, web server, and other servers ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)