Re: Help, my machine has been hacked

From: Yan Seiner (yan@oberon.cardinal.lan)
Date: 04/08/02

From: "Yan Seiner" <yan@oberon.cardinal.lan>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 20:19:36 -0400

In article <>, "B. Joshua
Rosen" <> wrote:

> In <20020405.201944.441145689.20157@oberon.cardinal.lan>, Yan Seiner
> wrote:
> Do you have any recommendations for an iptable based firewall builder. I
> used PMfirewall to build my firewall with. PMfirewall is easy to use and
> it certainly seemed to be pretty comprehensive, however it would seem
> that it has failed me here, any recommendations for a good firewall
> builder would be appreciated.

I have not found any GUI based tools that are worth anything (IMHO - not
to start a flame war). I am a CLI retro-grouch, anyway. I don't trust
anything between me and the security tool. If I can't see it, I can't
understand it.

> Which DSL router are you using?, do you like it? how flexible is it?

ZyXel 642R. It's a pretty nice box. Only cost $99 from the phone
company. It works pretty well, has a decent firewall, and port forwards
stuff as well. There is a 642 bridge as well,; don't confuse th etwo.

> I've checked all of my machines for rootkits, they're all clean.

Did you run tcpcump to see what you're putting out on the net?