Re: Giving shutdown rights to somebody

From: Ulrich Prinz (mr.p@earthling.net)
Date: 04/05/02

From: "Ulrich Prinz" <mr.p@earthling.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:45:58 +0200

"RainbowHat" <nHiATlE@blSackholeP.mAit.edMu.invalid> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:PP8OF40W2T-nHiATlE@blackhole.mit.edu...
> < Tim Haynes
> >Agreed. The only problem is getting the thing back online again the
next
> >week.
> >More to the point, *why* do folks shut down their boxes of a w/e?
>
> How about to use electrical or mechanical on/off timer for border
> router or modem. AFAIK it's $10.00 US. Or wire tap to printer port
> that's not using and drive electrical/mechanical relay switch. The
> switch is default off for fail safe.
>
> /
> router <---o o---<
> +-------+
> ---| relay |---< +V power supply
> |/ +-------+
> printer port o---/\/\/\/---|
> |\
> |
> -----
> /////

Hi!

Yep, we are a electronic business and that solution will keep corporate
identity within the system :-)

OK, I have to wait until we change to a more actual board that supports
power off by system (ATX-Standard). Its in the queue. Then I will
connect that relay to the USB supply or just the normal drive power
connector and that will do. The master-server will call the
shutdown-scripts on the secondary machines and wait for them to not
respond to something like a ping. After that he will power off himself
and take the supply away at the end.

Fine thing!

Reagrds

Ulrich

Relevant Pages

  • Re: http://rainbowgatherings.org/main/index/banned is a sad joke.
    ... Rainbow online has become a joke if that is what you want it to be. ... first gathering and they eagerly use the internet for kind reasons) ... bag over being handed the power of banning other brothers and sisters ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: Oh, Darn!!!
    ... my computer desk, removed the power supply, made a 40 mile round ... Another idea is to use only online email like GMail, ... use an online bookmarking service like del.icio.us. ... bereft without computer access! ...
    (alt.sewing)
  • Re: printing crashes system
    ... One of the only online ups's that will ... >> work with imperfect generator power. ... > stepped sine wave. ... this UPS also ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: news
    ... > We still have phone lines down so I can't get online unless I go ... > to a friend's house. ... We're fine, got power back ... > It is all so very very sad; even people who are OK have this ...
    (alt.fashion)
  • news
    ... We still have phone lines down so I can't get online unless I go ... to a friend's house. ... It is all so very very sad; even people who are OK have this ... Except of course I was glad to have power, ...
    (alt.fashion)