Re: shadowed passwords

From: Robert Spielmann (varial@gmx.de)
Date: 03/24/02

From: Robert Spielmann <varial@gmx.de>
Date: 24 Mar 2002 18:25:48 GMT

luke@cyber.homeunix.net wrote in news:3c9be445.147375449@news.gte.net:

> The shadowed passwords are located (on Linux not all unix systems)
> in /etc/shadow
> in /etc/passwd the passwords are replaced with x's to signify that the
> password ur looking for is in /etc/shadow
>
> Stats for Shadow:
>
> -rw------- 1 root root **** ****** ** **:** /etc/shadow
>
> example in shadow
>
> guest:$1$myh4shf0$u/R7pBhGtFJiHWkpVm7zP1:11759:99999::::

Hi Luke,

my question was: what if the entry in /etc/shadow looks like:

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Does the x mean that root canīt login on that machine? I would expect
that if root could login, there would be an encrypted passwd instead of
"x" in /etc/shadow, right?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: three questions
    ... (root by default) ... The Security check is a separate "letter" to you. ... the login failures sectoin means that you ... mistyped passwords or in some other way attempted to login improperly. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Cups problem with root access
    ... CUPS will not allow remote administration with the default settings. ... As far as I know, CUPS uses PAM to check the passwords, so if the ... root password will allow you to log in as root on the machine CUPS ... Yes I'm using a local machine,every other login for root is ok bar Cups, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Password problem confirmed as repeatable - was [Re: Newbie password problem(s)]
    ... Going by text displayed during the installation I had the ... impression that shadow passwords were for those overly paranoid ... and changing root password, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Cups problem with root access
    ... CUPS will not allow remote administration with the default settings. ... As far as I know, CUPS uses PAM to check the passwords, so if the ... root password will allow you to log in as root on the machine CUPS ... Yes I'm using a local machine,every other login for root is ok bar Cups, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: How to let a user login locally with a weak password
    ... to login before checking their passwords. ... But I guess that just allowed them to login without any password ... So now you know how to allow password-less login of root to gdm. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)