Re: Masking email in ngs

From: Joe Schaefer (joe+usenet@sunstarsys.com)
Date: 03/16/02

From: Joe Schaefer <joe+usenet@sunstarsys.com>
Date: 15 Mar 2002 20:22:55 -0500

ck26 <ck26@ukc.ac.uk> writes:

> How does everyone mask their real email addresses when posting to the
> newgroups? I'm always bombarded with spam because I post occasionally, and
> would like this to stop. I'm not one of these people who likes to spoof
> email people, just someone who wants the spammers to go away...

It's not so bad for me that I've been tempted to use something like what
I'm about to suggest, but here's an RFC-822 compliant way to munge
real@address.com :

"RFC-822 <compliant" <real (>hard) @ (2\).parse) address .(<DOT) com>

i.e.

  % sendmail -bv ' "RFC-822 <compliant" <real (>hard) @
    (2\).parse) address .(<DOT) com> '

  ... deliverable: ..., user real@address.com

A crappy spam-quality email sifter will likely puke on something this
horrible, but sendmail doesn't have any trouble with it.

HTH

--
                               comp.os.linux.security FAQ (Version 1.1, XML)

Answer located at http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/colsfaq.html#4.2