Re: Masking email in ngs

From: Joe Schaefer (joe+usenet@sunstarsys.com)
Date: 03/16/02

From: Joe Schaefer <joe+usenet@sunstarsys.com>
Date: 15 Mar 2002 20:22:55 -0500

ck26 <ck26@ukc.ac.uk> writes:

> How does everyone mask their real email addresses when posting to the
> newgroups? I'm always bombarded with spam because I post occasionally, and
> would like this to stop. I'm not one of these people who likes to spoof
> email people, just someone who wants the spammers to go away...

It's not so bad for me that I've been tempted to use something like what
I'm about to suggest, but here's an RFC-822 compliant way to munge
real@address.com :

"RFC-822 <compliant" <real (>hard) @ (2\).parse) address .(<DOT) com>

i.e.

  % sendmail -bv ' "RFC-822 <compliant" <real (>hard) @
    (2\).parse) address .(<DOT) com> '

  ... deliverable: ..., user real@address.com

A crappy spam-quality email sifter will likely puke on something this
horrible, but sendmail doesn't have any trouble with it.

HTH

--
                               comp.os.linux.security FAQ (Version 1.1, XML)
FAQ> How do I know what services I am running?

Answer located at http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/colsfaq.html#4.2

Relevant Pages

  • What is SPAM? What is FLOODING?
    ... What is SPAM? ... Posting is a privilege, ... posting privileges may be revoked WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING, ...
    (alt.politics)
  • Re: Masking email in ngs
    ... > How does everyone mask their real email addresses when posting to the ... I notice that you are posting from a uni machine. ... If I put ANY spam type filter, I get "The sending address is not ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: More feedback from Quaker-L
    ... a regularly published FAQ with the above idea ... However a 'no spam, no crossposting' policy is still a form of moderation, although a very very light one. ... Would everyone here agree that the regular posting of a FAQ much like the old one, plus the addition of the idea that this NG /not/ representative of RSoF nor is it is endorsed by RSoF and is in fact just a Usenet group, plus robomoderation to ban crossposting and remove spam be the best solution? ...
    (soc.religion.quaker)
  • Masking email in ngs
    ... How does everyone mask their real email addresses when posting to the ... I'm always bombarded with spam because I post occasionally, ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Mah-Jongg FAQs updated
    ... FAQ 4a - Added a teacher listing. ... Introduction to Mah-Jongg Newsgroup ... FAQ11b Origins: Precursor Games ... NEWSGROUP POSTING ARCHIVES: ...
    (rec.games.mahjong)