Re: Virus or hack that causes packet loss?? RESOLVED

From: Walter Dnes (waltdnes@waltdnes.org)
Date: 03/09/02

From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 05:32:18 GMT

On Thu, 07 Mar 2002 14:06:12 -0700, aaron, <aaronmda@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I just wanted to post a thank you to all those that responded. I
> have resolved them problem. It was in fact a reverse dns issue. I
> had to put in entries in /etc/hosts for each machine on the
> network with it's corresponding computer id. I also implemented
> a wins server. Everything works fine now. I'm still not sure
> why this became an issue in the first place but everything works
> so i'm happy. Thank you All

   A similar problem/solution. I have two linux machines behind a
router which is hooked into ADSL. When I do a weekly backup (doesn't
everybody <g>) I also ftp a copy of the backup to the second machine.
It used to be that without entries in /etc/hosts, I had to be connected
to my ISP; if I wasn't connected, ftp simply refused to work. When I
put "appropriate" entries in /etc/hosts, ftp works after a 45-second
delay (timeout ?). The weird part is that I don't ftp to a name. I
ftp *DIRECT TO AN IP ADDRESS* (192.168.1.2) fer-cryin-out-loud.

  The only remaining question I have is, how can I get linux (RH 7.2)
to consult /etc/hosts first, rather than last ? Hopefully, that'll
get rid of the 45-second delay. Oh, I *DON'T* want to run a local DNS
server daemon.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
If you had purchased $1000 of @home stock in 1999, today you would

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Advatages of database over text file storage
    ... time-stamped data entries in text files. ... but the Excel file used to store raw data presently occupies 3.1 MB. ... say over FTP? ... If the rule is "transmit everything not ...
  • UPDATE: FTP delay
    ... After the loooong delay for the login prompt, ... actual FTP session is not running slowly, ... > company uses for their DNS servers. ... Only a few machines use the original ...
    (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)
  • Re: CFtpFindFile freezes
    ... CFtpFileFind::FindNextFile, ... less likely to hang if a Sleepis added to the loop. ... // This whole block of code loops for each unique log-in details ... a 2-minute delay in starting an FTP findfile does seem extreme. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • ftp server configuration for Windows CE 5.0...
    ... I know this has been beat to death, as I have read many of the entries ... AllowAnonymousUpload: 1 ... based on what I have read and the implications of the above settings, ... If I try to ftp from an XP Pro ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)