Re: Activate firewall logging

From: Peter (valleypower@hotmail.com)
Date: 02/18/02

    From: valleypower@hotmail.com (Peter)
    Date: 17 Feb 2002 15:12:16 -0800

    svek <svekSPAM-NO-MORE@gmx.net> wrote in message news:<Xns91B8CFAF273Esvek@130.133.1.4>...
    > Peter Hewett <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in
    >
    > > What should I do to enable firewall logging? I'm curious to see what
    > > packets are being dropped.
    > >
    > > My system is Redhat 7.1 on a laptop, connecting to an ISP over a dialup
    > > modem. Install setting is maximum security.
    > > rpm -q shows ipchains 1.3.10-7 and iptables 1.2.1a-1
    > > lsmod shows ipchains (unused)
    > >
    > My question is simply why have you installed both ipchains and iptables?
    > And which one of them are you going to use?
    >
    > /svek

    Sorry - I'm quite new to Linux. I just ran the RedHat install CDs
    (which uses the 2.4.2 kernel BTW). From some HOWTOs etc I see that
    ipchains and iptables are involved, hence I used rpm to check what's
    installed.

    Any hints on what can be done to set up logging would be much
    appreciated. Should I uninstall / deactivate ipchains and start up
    iptables? (and how do you do that)

    thanks

    Peter Hewett