Re: Activate firewall logging

From: Peter (valleypower@hotmail.com)
Date: 02/18/02

    From: valleypower@hotmail.com (Peter)
    Date: 17 Feb 2002 15:12:16 -0800

    svek <svekSPAM-NO-MORE@gmx.net> wrote in message news:<Xns91B8CFAF273Esvek@130.133.1.4>...
    > Peter Hewett <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in
    >
    > > What should I do to enable firewall logging? I'm curious to see what
    > > packets are being dropped.
    > >
    > > My system is Redhat 7.1 on a laptop, connecting to an ISP over a dialup
    > > modem. Install setting is maximum security.
    > > rpm -q shows ipchains 1.3.10-7 and iptables 1.2.1a-1
    > > lsmod shows ipchains (unused)
    > >
    > My question is simply why have you installed both ipchains and iptables?
    > And which one of them are you going to use?
    >
    > /svek

    Sorry - I'm quite new to Linux. I just ran the RedHat install CDs
    (which uses the 2.4.2 kernel BTW). From some HOWTOs etc I see that
    ipchains and iptables are involved, hence I used rpm to check what's
    installed.

    Any hints on what can be done to set up logging would be much
    appreciated. Should I uninstall / deactivate ipchains and start up
    iptables? (and how do you do that)

    thanks

    Peter Hewett

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: Activate firewall logging
      ... > What should I do to enable firewall logging? ... RedHat, in its infinite wisdom, installed iptables which is far better ... than ipchains, then used the backward compatibity mode to make it look ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Iptables installed by default in Redhat 7.X
      ... I have stopped IPCHAINS and IPTABLES and use a free thing called ... It creates a firewall script based on IPTABLES which is the later ... > By that I mean the firewall that is configured during the install process ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Iptables installed by default in Redhat 7.X
      ... I have stopped IPCHAINS and IPTABLES and use a free thing called ... It creates a firewall script based on IPTABLES which is the later ... > By that I mean the firewall that is configured during the install process ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Install kernel-image-2.4 for iptables (debian)
      ... I have done a fresh install of Woody from a set of Debian 3.0 r1 CDs. ... Now I'd like to configure a firewall, for which I need either ipchains ... > Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded. ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: How can I active and use ipchains replace of iptables in redhat 7.2?
      ... > I'm comfortable to use ipchains and I used it in redhat 7.1. ... > but now I install redhat 7.2 and in this version, ... instead of iptables, rpm -e iptables, to remove iptables and if ipchains ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)