Re: stack - max stack size (KB)

From: srt@nospam.unt.edu
Date: 01/30/02

From: srt@nospam.unt.edu
Date: 30 Jan 2002 05:41:01 GMT

In comp.security.unix gaius.petronius <rut@linuxmail.org> wrote:

> referring to the /etc/security/limits.conf file on Linux,
> can the value of stack - max stack size (KB) prevent buffer overflow
> exploits in poorly designed programs?

Nope -- because buffer overflow exploits are overrunning buffers that
are legitimately allocated on the stack (and staying within the
stack's allocated memory). They're not making the stack itself
overflow, so limiting the amount of memory for the stack wouldn't help
at all....

--
Steve Tate --- srt[At]cs.unt.edu | Gratuitously stolen quote:
Dept. of Computer Sciences       | "The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT,

Relevant Pages

  • RE: considerations about exploits tricks
    ... you can attempt to fix the stack for a start. ... This still does not stop heap attacks - ... the heap area and other data areas - not just the stack. ... any buffer overflow exploit that overflows ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Buffer overflow prevention
    ... > I have an idea on buffer overflow prevention. ... > the fact that we're using the stack, referenced by SS:ESP pair, both ... > procedure return address and for local variables. ... if we use first segment for passing variables ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • RE: Buffer overflow prevention
    ... implement ProPolice stack protection. ... > I have an idea on buffer overflow prevention. ... > procedure return address and for local variables. ... > second segment only for local procedure variables, ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Any personal Intrusion Detection Systems
    ... hard to believe BI let a stack or buffer overflow attack through Maybe, ... A stack or buffer overflow can happen with Outlook Express. ... >> ISS bought Network ICE for two reasons. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: sacrificing performance for confusion
    ... The easy case of buffer overflows involves someone putting a string on the stack ... The more difficult to exploit form of buffer overflow that depends on VMM ... If the VMM protection permits this code to run, ...
    (freebsd-performance)