Firewall on WWW server

From: Christoph Riedl (christoph.riedl@ei-performance.de)
Date: 01/06/02

From: Christoph Riedl <christoph.riedl@ei-performance.de>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 20:10:44 +0100

Hi,

i have a general question concerning the purpose of using a firewall.

I only have a single server with a permanent internet connection
running the following services:
SMPT, POP3, SSH and WWW
This server has to be accessable from all over the internet.

Does it make sense to run a firewall on this server cause I don't
want to secure a network or something like this and it's only a single
physical machine with only one NIC and only on IP address?

If you'd recommend using a firewall could you please explain to me
what this firewall should do and what a possible setup might look like.

Thanks

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Firewall on WWW server
    ... > i have a general question concerning the purpose of using a firewall. ... > I only have a single server with a permanent internet connection ... > This server has to be accessable from all over the internet. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Firewall on WWW server
    ... > I only have a single server with a permanent internet connection ... > This server has to be accessable from all over the internet. ... ONLY run NEEDED services, SHUTDOWN everything else. ... > Does it make sense to run a firewall on this server cause I don't ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Firewall on WWW server
    ... >> i have a general question concerning the purpose of using a firewall. ... >> I only have a single server with a permanent internet connection ... >> This server has to be accessable from all over the internet. ... assuming any of the running services might be compromizable it is much ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: CEICW fails at firewall config
    ... Do you or do you not have ISA 2000 or ISA 2004 installed on the SBS server? ... Do you have 2 NICs in the SBS? ... CEICW fails on firewall configuration every time. ... >>> Call to Creating the protected networks access rule returned ok. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Recycler security issues on IIS server
    ... > latest upates to the server. ... > like to see the server put behind our firewall, ... other software, install all patches, IISlockdown, URLscan, use the correct ... the procedures you follow may vary depending on your security needs. ...