Firewall on WWW server

From: Christoph Riedl (christoph.riedl@ei-performance.de)
Date: 01/06/02

From: Christoph Riedl <christoph.riedl@ei-performance.de>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 20:10:44 +0100

Hi,

i have a general question concerning the purpose of using a firewall.

I only have a single server with a permanent internet connection
running the following services:
SMPT, POP3, SSH and WWW
This server has to be accessable from all over the internet.

Does it make sense to run a firewall on this server cause I don't
want to secure a network or something like this and it's only a single
physical machine with only one NIC and only on IP address?

If you'd recommend using a firewall could you please explain to me
what this firewall should do and what a possible setup might look like.

Thanks