Re: RH 7.2 requires portmapper for NFS client?

From: Wine Development (wine@sweeney.demon.co.uk)
Date: 12/27/01

From: Wine Development <wine@sweeney.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 19:08:01 +0000

Viraj Alankar wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I noticed that in Redhay 7.2, portmapper is required to be running to mount
> remote filesystems. When portmapper is not started, the mounts work but take a
> very long time. Does anyone know why portmapper is now required?

Are you running KDE? For some misbegotten reason RH seem to think
KDE needs fam, and that in turn needs portmapper.

--
Keith Matthews 			Spam trap - my real account at this
							node is keith_m

Frequentous Consultants - Linux Services, Oracle development & database administration

Relevant Pages

  • NFS mount problem
    ... I'm trying to mount /data from a client. ... Portmapper on the client is running. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: nfs - Indigo2 X FreeBSD
    ... 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper ... 100005 3 tcp 1021 mountd ... mount: NFS version 3 mount failed, ...
    (comp.sys.sgi.admin)
  • Mounting NFS share problem
    ... I'm trying to mount /data from a client. ... Portmapper on the client is running. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: RH 7.2 requires portmapper for NFS client?
    ... >> to mount remote filesystems. ... When portmapper is not started, ... > I think it's always needed to use RPC services, ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: RH 7.2 requires portmapper for NFS client?
    ... >> I noticed that in Redhay 7.2, portmapper is required to be running to mount ... >> remote filesystems. ... the mounts work but take a ... > KDE needs fam, and that in turn needs portmapper. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)