problem with ftp client behind redhat 7.2 iptables firewall

From: Chatchai Sae-Tung (
Date: 12/26/01

From: "Chatchai Sae-Tung" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:46:35 -0500

I have Redhat 7.2 firewall running Iptables. It loaded up ip_nat_ftp OK.
But when I log in to my company ftp [IIS 5] (and some others), I can log in
ok . I can do commands like pwd, help, cd, etc. But I can't do "ls" and
"dir", it will just freeze. I have tried on the firewall itself, same
result. Using IE on Windows client, it will just "searching for folders"
and then replied with "you don't have permission ....". Using ftp on the RH
firewall, it will just freeze for a minute and not showing file list. It
seems like only "ls" and "dir" don't work.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: I was hacked
    ... Only me noticing that the requests seemed to come from a LAN? ... To secure IIS somewhat, remove all the virtual directories even if they are ... > Do you have some kind of application level firewall on this machine? ... a series of attempts to attack IIS that the IIS log claimed were coming ...
  • Re: I was hacked
    ... I suspect the firewall looks like a typical address that a NAT ... use Apache to proxypass all requests to IIS and that way I can have some ... script to check if the url is valid and if so execute the script... ... :>: a series of attempts to attack IIS that the IIS log claimed were ...
  • Re: security breach?
    ... If your XP firewall is not blocking oubound connections, ... There are various trojans that allow remote access, ... email passwords to a hacker's email address, ... are running IIS, find and look at your IIS log files, if they exist. ...
  • Re: Being hacked...
    ... Are you offering a webserver and ftp server to users on the internet as per having ... FTP and HTTP open? ... For internet attacks what I would look for is patterns in the firewall ... I am not an expert on IIS by any means but I do know if you are using FTP and IIS you ...
  • Please help me get started
    ... in the exceptions tab that were blocked by the firewall ... I originally miunderstood the exceptions tab and added ... I restarted IIS by clicking disconnect and the clicking ... If you have Windows SP2 installed it will cause you ...