Re: how to use network printer in linux

From: Dr. V. Bhatnagar (vipin@puhep.res.in)
Date: 12/10/01

From: "Dr. V. Bhatnagar" <vipin@puhep.res.in>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:07:44 +0530

karthikeyan wrote:

> sir,
> I am having network printer in a workgroup with win 2000
> professional (32 machines )installed in them . I am having a machine
> with Red hat linux 6.2 installed in that same workgroup.now i want to
> use the network printer from linux . please help me how can i do
> that???
>
> What are services should I start in linux and as well as in windows
> 2000 ???
>
> help me . thk in adv.

Hello,
First of all setup the IP number of the printer (enabling to use TCPIP
IO). Now use the printer configuration from RH6.2 and select Network
printer. Enter the IP number and the queue as "JetDirect". It will use
the port 9100. Then try printing a test page. That's it. For windows
please use windows news groups for info.
VB

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Setting up a linux server.
    ... Spool a network printer. ... These aern't the fastest machines around ... What Linux distro would ... You don't need much beyond a stock server setup in - say - Debian. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: networkprinting
    ... > Printing in linux is working, however when i try to print in windows (i ... > can see the printer as a network printer) i always see the message ... What the permissions on the spool directory like? ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • share printer with linux
    ... How can I share my printer with a linux pc, so that I could add this printer ... as a network printer from a windows pc OR another linux pc? ... But I just can't set this printing from a Linux machine:(I tried ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Access a USB drive from Linux and Windows
    ... I want to be able to attach a USB drive to Red Hat Linux 8.3 and ... write files to it and then be able to take the USB drive to a Windows ... tried formatting a 31 MB partition on partition 1 using Windows and ... then taking it to Linux. ...
    (comp.os.linux.portable)
  • Storage Over LAN
    ... First I thought in buying a USB 400Gb external HD (I saw one from Western ... Digital that had an acceptable price) connect it to one the linux servers ... via USB or even a printer and making it a network printer (which would ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)