Re: how to use network printer in linux

From: Dr. V. Bhatnagar (vipin@puhep.res.in)
Date: 12/10/01

From: "Dr. V. Bhatnagar" <vipin@puhep.res.in>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:07:44 +0530

karthikeyan wrote:

> sir,
> I am having network printer in a workgroup with win 2000
> professional (32 machines )installed in them . I am having a machine
> with Red hat linux 6.2 installed in that same workgroup.now i want to
> use the network printer from linux . please help me how can i do
> that???
>
> What are services should I start in linux and as well as in windows
> 2000 ???
>
> help me . thk in adv.

Hello,
First of all setup the IP number of the printer (enabling to use TCPIP
IO). Now use the printer configuration from RH6.2 and select Network
printer. Enter the IP number and the queue as "JetDirect". It will use
the port 9100. Then try printing a test page. That's it. For windows
please use windows news groups for info.
VB