Re: Web searches hijacked by malware

~BD~ wrote:

When you read articles about how those who provide tech services go
about 'attacking' a sick machine, the bootsector scan is part of the
routine.

I know a couple of guys in local computer shops who don't, as far as I
know, look at the Boot sector before installing Windows!

Notice the difference between what I said and what you said.

I made my reference to people who are fixing a sick - implying
infected - machine.

You made your reference simply to guys in computer shops who are
installing windows. Your referenced guys could certainly be installing
windows on a clean new not-previously-infected hdd.

Perhaps I should mention this to them!

Or, they could know already know what they are doing while you do not.

FYI, I have now used my XP CD to boot to the Recovery Console just
as
you have described. Thank you! :)

There's nothing quite like seeing it for yourself.

At the risk of boring you to tears, I tried this on my wife's Acer
Aspire 3000 laptop today (it had XP Home from new)
..... using my retail copy of the XP CD. All happened just as before
*until* I got to the stage of the password requirement.

This time inserting 'nothing' did *not* allow me to proceed! I got a
message saying "The password is not valid. Please retype the password"
I did the same twice more and was then told "An invalid password has
been entered 3 times. To restart your computer, press ENTER".

MS kb 308402 describes a problem encountered with the pw step when the
OS has been installed by an OEM using sysprep. The wiki and MS describe
sysprep.

As I have all the re-installation discs supplied when new, I've
subsequently flattened and rebuilt the machine this afternoon!

I first took the laptop apart and cleaned all dust from the fan with a
brush and then gave it a good blow-through with compressed air too!

It seems to have a new lease of life now!

Presumably the reinstallation disks are disk images and one might find
that if you tried to use your retail copy XP disk that you /still/
wouldn't be able to access the Recovery Console because of pw problem.

--
Mike Easter

  • Re: Blue screen
    ... Sadly after installing Windows XP Pro, running TAP.exe Resolving a few ... errors and copying everything to the disk, the same sort error keeps ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: New Installation Problem
    ... > After installing Windows XP Professional my system will not start up ... > without giving me a Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press ...
  • Re: chkdsk destroyed mft
    ... Then after installing Windows 2000 and configuring it to ... support large disks, running chkdsk would have fully repaired the disk ... had you not let chkdsk run to completion. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: "A Disk Read Error Occurred" Under Windows XP
    ... the bios, still no change. ... Attempted a Windows 2000 Emergency disk, ... disk and from there installing Windows 98 via CD and upgrading to XP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)