Re: Are passphrases allowed in TrueCrypt?

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 12:23:50 -0800, "Mike Easter" <MikeE@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

marck@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I thinking of using TrueCrypt to encrypt my C: drive. Does anyone
know if TrueCrypt allows the use of passphrases instead of a mere
password? If so, how many characters, with spaces, are allowed?

64

Pic of TrueCrypt Wizard pw instructions:

http://www.truecrypt.org/images/docs/tutorial-v5.0-08.png

If you want additional information, the front page of the tutorial/docs
is here http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/

I did find the FAQ and other docs, but missed the pic you posted.
That kind of answers my question. Thanks much.

You know, I really don't understand this stuff about constructing
passwords or passphrases of the type TrueCrypt recommends, such as
with number, punctuation, etc. Who can remember that slop. Added to
that is the contrary advise on the Diceware page, complete with math,
that argues randomly chosen words cannot be cracked that easily.

http://world.std.com/~reinhold/diceware.html
http://world.std.com/~reinhold/dicewarefaq.html

I've always stuck with multi word passphrases. They are a heck of a
lot easier to remember. So far, I have never forgotten a diceware
passphrase, and I've been using them for some years with BestCrypt and
other encryption programs.

Whatever....

Thanks again.

  • Re: Are passphrases allowed in TrueCrypt?
    ... know if TrueCrypt allows the use of passphrases instead of a mere ... If so, how many characters, with spaces, are allowed? ... Pic of TrueCrypt Wizard pw instructions: ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Are passphrases allowed in TrueCrypt?
    ... I thinking of using TrueCrypt to encrypt my C: ... know if TrueCrypt allows the use of passphrases instead of a mere ...
    (alt.computer.security)