Re: Web searches hijacked by malware

~BD~ wrote:

What advice would you give to 'the average user' who wishes to
*attempt*
to wipe/reinstall Windows successfully?

Let us assume that the MBR is infected too!

None of the last 4 computers which I bought with an OS installed 'from
the factory' came with a genuine MS OS disk. 2 of them came with
Linspire preinstalled and 'genuine' linspire disks; 2 of them, 1 XP and
1 Vista, came only with manufacturers' restore function on/from a
separate partition on the hdd, no disks, MS or OEM. If you wanted
disks, the installed OS had a function so that you could burn CDs or
DVDs to reinstall from the burned opticals instead of from the hdd
partition. Or you could order such disks from the manufacturer.

In both of those windows cases, the entire disk image including MBR
would be rewritten by the restore.

Back in the old days when buying a computer with windows installed
actually came with a MS CD or DVD to install with instead of an image
'pre-packaged' - or 'pre-imaged' - with bloatware, one would format the
drive prior to the install. The formatting wipes out the boot sector
which MBR is restored during the course of the install.

--
Mike Easter

  • Software-Raid1 Root in Woody
    ... This document briefly describes the steps needed to install a Debian ... Woody GNU/Linux system with root on a software raid1 device. ... I used SCSI disks because I had them easily available, ... I started from floppies (vanilla kernel) + network, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Software-Raid1 Root in Woody
    ... This document briefly describes the steps needed to install a Debian ... Woody GNU/Linux system with root on a software raid1 device. ... I used SCSI disks because I had them easily available, ... I started from floppies (vanilla kernel) + network, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Web searches hijacked by malware
    ... separate partition on the hdd, no disks, MS or OEM. ... In both of those windows cases, the entire disk image including MBR ... would be rewritten by the restore. ... drive prior to the install. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: a bios question
    ... burning of DVDs (install Windows, ... I've seen several new computers that told you to burn a restore DVD, ... drive with an insistant option to burn disks and a set of English DVDs. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Changing OS, ME to XP???
    ... I do have the Gateway disks that came with my computer, ... They are 3 Disks entitled "Gateway Restoration ... Do I definately need to use an XP upgrade disk/program? ... Can I not do a cleaner install than an upgrade? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)