Re: Web searches hijacked by malware

On 07/12/2009 13:18, Charles Packer wrote:
My wife's Windows XP system has suddenly acquired some
malware that, basically, intervenes in any Web search
she does for information about computer viruses, etc.,
i.e. the very information she would need to remove it.
It also intervenes when ahe attempts to go directly to
an anti-virus vendor, e.g. symantec.com.

As a long-time Linux guy, this is the first time I've
ever seen a seriously infected computer. It seems to want to
route her to Stopzilla.com, because that's the page
the usually is the endpoint of the hijacking. I learned
that Stopzilla is apparently a legitimate vendor.
So what's going on? There's a ton of information on
the Web about how to deal with viruses. Does anybody
here recognize this particular problem and know
a shortcut to finding a solution to it? Or, let
me know if more details are needed for a useful
discussion here.

--
Charles Packer
http://cpacker.org/whatnews

Hello Charles

Try here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/contact.php

Use the 'blue' button (it is free!)

Is she cannot get there, *you* could download to your machine and then transfer to a memory stick to install on your wife's machine.

Then scan! Tell us how you get on please.

HTH

--
Dave (Sometimes man stumbles over the truth ...... Sir Winston Churchill)

  • Re: Web searches hijacked by malware
    ... | malware that, basically, intervenes in any Web search ... | she does for information about computer viruses, etc., ... | It also intervenes when ahe attempts to go directly to ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Web searches hijacked by malware
    ... malware that, basically, intervenes in any Web search ... she does for information about computer viruses, etc., ... It also intervenes when ahe attempts to go directly to ... an anti-virus vendor, e.g. symantec.com. ...
    (alt.computer.security)