Re: Phishing site - Warnings from Google: Are YOU warned?

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
<hf82d1$mhg$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, anders wrote:

wrote ~BD~:

How will I ever be able to determine if other folk do/do not get
the same warnings I do ......

Why do you care? I don't get the warnings from Google because I
don't see any reason to be using them for mail. If your ISP has
out-sourced their mail to google, find a less incompetent ISP. If
using google (or hotmail, or a lot of other spam service providers)
for mail was YOUR decision, then you should probably reconsider the
use of a computer connected to the Internet. Not only do I not
accept mail from google and friends, I also don't accept mail where
the sender is using a gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc. _address_ even if
the mail is being sent through an untainted mail server.

if nobody will 'test' something to find out what might happen?

Some one already did - the plisher who is expecting that his work
will catch the really st00pid people out there. Would you like to
confirm his findings?

You will not and there is no need for it.
Just throw away and forget it.

Why are you even downloading the crap in the first place? Are you
using some web mail service because the web browser is the only
application you can figure out how to operate? The POP or IMAP
protocols permit downloading headers ONLY, and that should be
enough for a dumb script or similar to filter (and delete on the
server) unwanted mail. To bad your web ``tool'' doesn't have that
capability. The only spam I see has made it past that style of
filter, and I want to see it (as raw text - I don't need to see the
shade/colo[u]r of chalk the sender used to create the mail) so I can
fine-tune the filter.

One reason to never click on links in such emails is that you then
confirm that your address is a valid address.

No, the mail server didn't reject the "RCPT TO:" command during the
SMTP stage, so either the idiots running the mail server are totally
incompetent (and should be shot) or the address exists.

The reason not to click on the link OR EVEN TRY THE URL MANUALLY
is that this action proves not that the address is valid, but that
there is an absolute fool who READS the crap that is sent to that
address. Wow - this must be a sucker who WANTS this kind of shit.

And that will only result in that you get more shit-mails and also
so your address will be salable to other bot-nets.

I haven't bothered looking lately - what is the current price of a
"Millions" CD - or are they DVDs now? (After all, a CD will only
hold 676 million bytes, and that's only 15-20 million email
addresses of proven fools.)

Old guy

  • Re: New Hydrogen Scam? Not really
    ... Internet posted via Google, ... Thunderbird/Mozilla will only filter on Subject or Sender headers. ... to act as a mail server and I haven't looked into it yet. ... Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage, ...
    (sci.energy.hydrogen)
  • Google Warns on Unsafe Websites, Filtering Out Bad Users
    ... Google has started warning users if they are about to visit a webpage ... The warnings will be seen by anyone using the search engine who clicks ... Badware researchers visit harmful sites and analyse how they try to ...
    (rec.sport.pro-wrestling)
  • Re: Sponsored search results lead to malware
    ... try to get on this blog that they are being told by their anti-virus ... program/ Google Chrome that this site 'may be' distributing malware. ... Have you seen the warnings put up by Firefox, Google Chrome and Safari, but *not* seen a warning using Opera? ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: How come google sells my info to spammers or ?
    ... >I recently went on google to look for a explanation on a medical ... address to use a mail server that doesn't exist there, ... when you signup for a Gmail account. ... navigate to or any images that are web bugs can see you by your IP ...
  • Re: Doctors - two rooms at the campus surgery - whats the point?
    ... DO NOT visit the Ex-Occidente website. ... type ex-occidenta into google and you get Google generated ... warnings not to visit the site followed by someone warning never to ... hacker problems and the site is now safe, clean and virus free. ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)