Re: Is my computer haunted?

pullgees@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Aug 15, 7:48 pm, anders <andersa...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sat, 15 Aug 2009 04:16:48 -0700 wrote pullgees:

Last night I was on the internet and an odd sound came through my
speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps. I
thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not occur
again. Could I be picking up a neighbours broadband signal? All silly
comments welcome but a serious one would be helpful.
If you use wireless, you probably have an antenna connected to your
computer.
Could be a similar phenomenon as with my neighbor's cellphone.
When he call up someone it create beeping in my transistorradio.
It is most likely interference.

/Anders

Yes I'm using wireless, but interference in the form of a yawn is
weird. It was so clear. I immediately looked up at the banner ad as
I thought it was a gimmick to get your attention but it did not
repeat. I considered a passing taxi but I can't imagine a driver
yawning down his mike and no conversation with base.

It's healthy to be a little paranoid when you are connected to a
network. But, people with malicious intents generally try to be very
subtle and do not announce themselves with things like beeps and yawns.
Has anyone else been on your computer recently, who might have written a
simple script and set it to run last night to see what your response
would be?

jc

  • Re: Is my computer haunted?
    ... it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps. ... I thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not ... Download and run the MSRT manually: ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Is my computer haunted?
    ... it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps. ... thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not occur ... I immediately looked up at the banner ad as ... subtle and do not announce themselves with things like beeps and yawns. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Is my computer haunted?
    ... speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps. ... thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not occur ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Is my computer haunted?
    ... speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps. ... thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not occur ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: OT - PC makes odd beeping sound
    ... Well given you've poked your nose in, and given the topic is computers ... that not all beeps are BIOS error codes. ... In the absence of a sound card, or if another app is monopolising the sound card ... There is no volume control on the beep. ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)