Re: OT - From Peter Foldes to me - Comments requested please

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Am I deleting too fast ?? Advise

Hello Peter! :)

Interesting question - one you have asked before! I seem to recall
Andrew saying that you couldn't *possibly* control what I see on *my*
screen - but I have a hinky feeling that he might be incorrect! You
obviously think you can!

It doesn't matter a great deal, because Eternal-September (was
Motzarella) has all messages on this test group going back to April.

I'd prefer the msnews server to keep the test messages for longer than
at present. Please adjust matters if you can. Thank you.

Whist writing, do you have any view on this item:-

A news release dated last week, says this:

BIOS Vulnerable to Modern Malware Attacks
'Basic Input/Output System', a firmware run by a PC at the time of
boot-up,
is increasingly targeted by malware attacks as modern hackers having
administrative OS rights are effectively conducting BIOS updates or BIOS
on
the Internet to load customized low-level firmware.

Recently, experts have shown how BIOS malware could be used to attack
multiple operating systems and infect different kinds of motherboards.
According to them, BIOS-based malicious software can disseminate not
just on
various OSs, but also by a number of hardware. These attacks are hard to
identify and block.

Earlier during March 2009 at the Vancouver CanSecWest security
conference,
researchers Anibal Sacco and Alfredo Ortega of Core Security
Technologies
Inc. performed a general BIOS attack that could push malware inside
various
BIOS types, as reported by search security on June 18, 2009.

A hacker who hijacked the BIOS in the above manner could gain complete
control over the basic firmware irrespective of the OS.

Even if all browser applications and OS patches are put in place, it is
still possible to fully compromise computers at a very low level without
any
vulnerability exploitation. Evidently, the BIOS malware has been
effectively
utilized on both OpenBSD and Windows platforms as well as on virtual
machines
through the VMware Player program.

Sacco and Ortega emphasized that for carrying out the attacks, one needs
either directly access the target computer or obtain the root privileges
of
the same, which restricts the scope. In any case, the techniques are
extremely workable and the two researchers are presently experimenting
with a
BIOS rootkit that might help to execute the attack.

Following the experiments by the Core researchers, John Heasman at Next
Generation Security Software performed another research on stubborn
rootkits
and was successful in creating a technique for planting them on
computers
utilizing 'Peripheral Component Interconnect' (PCI) cards.

Previously during 2007, Heasman at Black Hat DC demonstrated a fully
functional technique for installing rootkits on a PCI card through the
device's flashable ROM. He also showed how bogus stack pointers could be
built through the circumvention of Windows NT kernel.

http://www.spamfighter.com/News-12625-BIOS-Vulnerable-to-Modern-Malware-Attacks.htm

--
Dave