Hosts file

David H Lipman has said elsewhere
"changing the attribute of the file to Read-Only is worthless.

What do others reading here think about the article at the link?

I've checked my own Hosts file and this is what I found:-

Unknown-00-23-12-24-26-b4:~ david******$ cd /etc
Unknown-00-23-12-24-26-b4:etc david******$ cat hosts
# Host Database
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
## localhost broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
Unknown-00-23-12-24-26-b4:etc david******$

Is this what I should have expected to see (my *'s btw!)

I'm unsure about ::1 and fe80::1%1o0

Please can you tell me what they mean? Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Renaming machine and /etc/hosts
    ... Note that "localhost" is as has been described, ... machine's actual hostname - so this machine can /only/ find itself as ... qualified hostname for the loopback IP numbers. ... why not include that name in the hosts file? ...
  • Re: cant access localhost or
    ... Well localhost is determined in the hosts file. ... and can view the gif files located in the default web folder. ... >> Have you checked that your IIS Service is actually running? ...
  • Re: Postfix error question
    ... my hosts file and changed my domain in the to a qualified domain ... localhost ... mydomain = ... inet_interfaces = $myhostname, localhost ...
  • Re: system32driversetchosts doesnt get read
    ... That is the localhost address ... Are the entries for local, or for distant, servers? ... remember to run "ipconfig /flushdns" after making changes. ... How about you provide an example of a Hosts file entry that you made, ...
  • Re: localhost and are dead.
    ... > I can ping localhost and, ... > I have uninstalled IIS and reinstalled it. ... I have multiple entries in my HOSTS file. ... Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory ...