Re: Can a hacker get through to my Lan from ADSL router?

Bit Twister wrote:

In my case - with my current hardware, this is impossible. No one -
including me is able to alter my router's DNS server settings, as they
are hardcoded into the firmware. But if I get a new router, I might well
try OpenDNS.

Interesting, I thought adsl router's used dhcp to get a lease from their
ISP which gave out the gateway to use and which DNS servers to use.

What is the vendor and model number of your router.

Its a Siemens Gigaset SE587 - apparently the defacto tiscali
router/modem & the DNS servers are set. They cannot be changed. Thats
good from a security standpoint - but if they have network problems - it
means i can never try to set an alternate route.

I am going to invest in another router / modem so I can have more
control over settings. Then I will follow your recommendation about open
DNS... I am looking at some relatively cheap models which actually use
open source firmware :)

  • Re: weirdest network problems of my ilfe [SOLVED]
    ... and tried tcptraceroute again... ... of their dns servers). ... all of my family's windows boxes are working fine. ... > the network stuff is all assigned by the router. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Win2k3 and Slow Logons
    ... various DNS settings from the server and my router set up. ... >that all DNS servers will return the same, ... >You are likely going to need the Forwarding setup. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: Connecting to the Internet
    ... can you give me any suggestions and/or directions on how to correct the ... I get an error message "Firefox can't find the server at ... the DNS servers that you use could be problematic. ... The router has to be the default gateway. ...
  • Re: /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/ppp/resolv.conf, dhcp3-server and dnsmasq
    ... LANite, runs dhcp-client and is connected to ... Router by an Ethernet crossover cable. ... google.ca but the connection is not transistive; ... "upstream" route and the upstream DNS servers should be somewhere along ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Win2k3 and Slow Logons
    ... > various DNS settings from the server and my router set up. ... for internal DNS servers, but it must NOT be listed on any ... >>>>bad world of the Internet. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)