Re: Memory stick file encryption

Gualtier Malde <valacapt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:YuqdnQ9TUqLq8SzUnZ2dnUVZ_jGWnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxx:

I am having trouble trying to sort out various encryption software
available. I want to carry my .txt password file with me on a memory
stick and, of course, want to protect it. I could put it in a .rar
file but if the machine I am using doesn't have WinRAR or something
I'm not helped. And, finally, I don't understand most of this
encrypting stuff.

I think I need a very small program, self-contained like old DOZ
programs, so that it doesn't have to be installed on the temporary
computer. Doesn't have to be freeware.

Any suggestions?

Rather than look to software solutions (many of the good ones require a
driver which implies the need for admin rights on Windows) consider a
very solid hardware solution: Ironkey.

The ironkey USB drive isn't cheap as such things go but it isn't that
expensive either (if you truly value your privacy). You get hardware,
not software, security for your stored data, certified to FIPS-2 level 2
(it missed level 3 only by a whisker). AES encryption. Tamper-resistant.
Ten wrong passwords and it irretrievably self-destructs the internal key.
Also you can use (at your option) its private Tor servers (your choice of
speed v random security).

www.ironkey.com

There are others which claim similar features (e,g, Kingston Traveller)
but they don't come close to providing the same level of hardware
security.

Regards,

  • Re: Security and EOL issues
    ... OS software resources are designed that reserved ram and disk space among other resources, to reflect what current hardware size is available. ... (There was a security patch a few years ago that could not be applied to NT4 as it required more resources then NT4 could provide. ... Installing air bags requires that the automobile manufacturer design, test, ... Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Wikileaks, secondary effects
    ... Those last people are not in the business of security, ... local to network storage for documents and applications. ... Most workstations have no real need to attach peripherals aside from mouse and keyboard and since the lifetime of a desktop is about three years, "damaging" hardware to make it more secure is not a big deal. ... The professor who owned the project was under the fond illusion that if he just got all the static timing right, then all the bugs were *gone* This guy and many others in the 1980s and early '90s didn't grasp the complexity of a CPU or an OS and that the only way to wring bugs out is by users finding them. ...
    (sci.military.naval)
  • Re: Host-Base Firewall
    ... While hardware security solutions do serve a purpose and do defeat some attacks, they can not solve the human element problem or the evolution problem. ... A while back our research team performed an assessment of several security appliances as a part of an R&D project. ... When we assessed the appliance technology we discovered that the libraries and software that were being used were on average 1-3 years old. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: 7 Places Where Mac OS X is Still Behind Windows
    ... >> rendering ... no 2D graphics hardware does that. ... >> implement fully accurate Quartz 2D rasterization using shader programs. ... >> Everybody makes security mistakes. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Security via hardware?
    ... http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005g.html#51 Security via hardware? ... but this is worrying about the certification of the hardware ... where the validation of a digital signature with a public key implies ...
    (alt.computer.security)