Re: AOL (UK)

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:go6mao$im6$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
~BD~ wrote:

I have reinstalled Windows XP Home after playing with Ubunto [sic]
(Linux).

You could have saved yourself the anguish by installing Ubuntu as either
a dual-boot with your current Windows, or used the Wubi install where
Ubuntu becomes a 'directory' on your C: drive and with a dual-boot
capability.

When you are ready to formally move to Linux, consider the regular
dual-boot (retaining Windows for a time), then later from Ubuntu,
reformat the NTFS partitions to the Linux file system.

Thanks for your comments Bts. This is all very new to me, but I do have
genuine XP Home plus SP1, 2 and 3 CD's and a Ubuntu CD as well, so it isn't
difficult to revamp everything.

I then used an AOL 9.0VR CD

Is there a compelling reason you actually need AOL? ;-)
I've read in numerous places that their installation is particularly
invasive, especially to the Windows Registry.

Last I heard, the "AOL browser" was simply a title-bar branded Internet
Explorer...

Hahaha! Lots of folk ridicule AOL, I know, but AOL (UK) is now owned by
Carphone Warehouse - one of the UK's major mobile phone companies.

AOL is my *ISP* - I have to have *some* way to connect to the 'net and AOL
is competitive price-wise. One does NOT have to install the AOL software to
utilise the connection. Whilst the AOL Browser is based on Internet
Explorer, it is still quite a complex package, much as it was many years
ago.

HTH
--
Dave

  • Re: OT Dual Boot
    ... Where can I find proper step by step instructions to set up a dual boot: ... I could see it if you were wanting to dual-boot for a game, ... So, on the new PC, be sure to install XP first and then install Win7. ... EasyBCD is a handy utility to have and can fix many dual-boot problems and configure dual-booting much easier and better than Windows' own tool. ...
  • Re: Updates
    ... something about aol...I do not run aol. ... >Software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo ... testing - WinXP ... >> security updates to install with no luck at it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: So many problems with XP
    ... Windows 98 has to be installed BEFORE Windows XP is ... pollutive and non-isolative dual-boot method. ... The key is to create a primary partition (where you will install Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: my pc
    ... my condolences on "joining AOL".. ... you were trying to install. ... You could be running Windows 95, Windows 98, ... You did not point out what version of the AOL software you were attempting ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Dual Boot - - XP with 98SE, or Vista with 98SE
    ... The usual, and probably easiest, way to dual-boot is to install the older ... This way XP, and/or, I assume, VISTA ... I am planning to buy a new PC with Windows XP, Home or PRO, or Vista Home ... Premium installed and I would like to install my existing copy of Windows ...