Re: Preventing WHOIS

On 23 Feb, 20:07, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
Gerard Bok wrote:

tobit...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I LOVE privacy.

Why, then, are you posting to USENET in a way that reveals IP
address information and details about what kind of operating
system and browser you are using, through a company that is
well-known for its lack of privacy?

How much information do you get from my IP? Suppose that I didn't
explicitely wrote my name, would you still know it? Obviously you know
in what city I live in, but do you also know on what street? I'm just
curious.

There is the option to get a subscription at a Usenet server that
offers more privacy. Is that the best way to stay more private on the
Usenet?

Regards,

--
Torbjörn Svensson Diaz

  • Re: Where is everybody?
    ... My guess is that we're the last generation that will have the traditional notion of privacy as it has existed in America. ... That there's no privacy on Usenet, ... Mostly we don't know much about the posters because most folks don't show their true selves on newsgroups - what we see are mostly personas. ... It occurred to me while I was taking a shower this morning that Google might want to ditch this whole NNTP and Usenet business. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: Googee
    ... Google purchased DejaNews in 2001 and remained the primary corporate archiver of usenet. ... By Google archiving usenet as a whole globally, and providing unprecedented access, it is exactly like Orwellian cameras applied to the streets of the net, a deep human rights and humanitarian violation of dignity. ... Not only full privacy cannot be solved technologically with the privacy features Google applies, but a company forces a membership, a membership nobody signed an agreement with. ...
    (comp.ai.philosophy)
  • Re: Googee
    ... No one is forcing you to use Google! ... Get an ISP which provides a Usenet server! ... >archiving usenet in 1995 and a lot of people raised their voices at the time for privacy. ... The Groups Beta product is absolutely illegal in a consumer sense. ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Facebook sucks!
    ... No privacy issues on Usenet. ... podcast from March 2008 with John Major Jenkins. ... I guess that's why I don't get Facebook. ...
    (misc.writing)
  • Re: Facebook sucks!
    ... there's a new forum without trolls and spammers: ... No privacy issues on Usenet. ... Keera in Norwayhttp://kafox.blogspot.com/- Hide quoted text - ...
    (misc.writing)