Re: Preventing WHOIS

tobito85@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I LOVE privacy. Is there a way to set up a website anonymously? Right
now anyone can use whois http://www.yourwebsite.com and he'll find
out who the domain is registered to.

$ whois yourwebsite.com

Registrant:
yourwebsite
36480 Peugeot Place
Newark, California 94560
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: YOURWEBSITE.COM
Created on: 02-Jan-98
Expires on: 01-Jan-10
Last Updated on: 29-Dec-08

Perhaps you would want to use "example.com" (reserved for the purpose)
instead of a domain name actually owned by someone.

There is the possibility to use a company that offers you a proxy
server but then that company legally becomes the holder of that
domain.

Got a cite for that? I've a couple of domains and the privacy company
does *not* own them.

I'd like to be the sole owner of the domain and yet be impenetrable
to the whole whois gestapo thing. Is there a way?

Yes. Avail yourself of the privacy services offered by your registrar.
Normally, it is an extra-cost option, maybe $9USD or about 78 Swedish
Kronor per year.

Are there some top level domains that are more suitable for this than
other?

No.

Is there anybody out there who can offer me some help, give me some
pointers of something?

Explore your registrar's site for the privacy option. Ex:
http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/dbp/landing.asp?ci=9002

--
-bts

  • Re: wierd whois problem
    ... My whois client is /usr/bin/whois, ... Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC. ... Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Websites mit Malware?
    ... Ein Ausschnitt aus dem Whois ... Domain Name: BEARSOFNAPLES.COM ... Registrar: TUCOWS INC. ... the Data in VeriSign Global Registry ...
    (de.comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Possibly not the most fortunate domain name.....
    ... Whois Server Version 2.0 ... Registrar: TUCOWS INC. ... Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to ... Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC. ...
    (uk.rec.humour)
  • Re: Domain registrar with clue - recommendations please
    ... >> James Taylor wrote: ... >>> I'm looking for a low cost domain registrar that has a free ... >>> whois contact information to be updated, ... > Good DNS control (very handy when you've forgotten to update ...
    (uk.net.web.authoring)
  • Whois Database
    ... ICANN Chooses Privacy for Whois The Internet Corporation for Assigned ...
    (soc.culture.filipino)