Re: Change my isp address

John D wrote:

You are obviously knowledgeable about such things, Tim.

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but ........ would you take a look at the posts in this thread and give me a view Re: Slip Stream Test 17 January 2009 16:34GMT to be found here: microsoft.public.security.homeusers,microsoft.public.security.virus

You say "If you lift the covers off the post properties which is shown
then you see what is underneath"

I'd be most grateful if you (or anyone else) would kindly explain what
that means. TIA

He's talking about looking at the headers. The easiest way to do that is to use whatever method your browser has to present the message source in plain text. Then you see the message headers, and in your case (or at least -BD-'s case, you aren't him of course) there is a consistent header "NNTP Posting Host 92.21.55.140", which is Carphone Warehouse Broadband Services in Manchester, for what it is worth. It shows you are likely posting from a mobile. Not all ISP's include this line.

It doesn't identify you, but Carphone Warehouse will have a record of the message IDs and the account that sent them, which government authorised investigators can inspect. I dare say a suitably resourceful private investigator could gain access by lying a bit or bribing an official.

As for explaining what the poster means, ask a psychologist, not me.

Tim

  • Re: [Gravity] Reconstruct thread
    ... thread if the server doesn't support XPAT). ... References) to find the child posts. ... References header can only be traced backward? ... deleted the parent posts then you have to go retrieve their headers ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: [Dialog] Option to retrieve bodies of new posts does not work reliably
    ... I enabled the option "Retrieve bodies for all new posts". ... after retrieving their headers, there are still many posts that are ... But those filters will fail (and ... download the bodies of all new posts. ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: 40tude Dialog score on NNTP-Posting-Host
    ... just their overview headers. ... the posts are ... Downloading all the bodies ... careful in defining your filters). ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: 40tude Dialog score on NNTP-Posting-Host
    ... just their overview headers. ... the posts are ... Downloading all the bodies ... careful in defining your filters). ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: Conceal Identity
    ... How do I do a search on newsgroup headers? ... While you can control the name and email address, ... Your NNTP provider controls the rest. ... Are lines 4 to end unique to me and identify me in all my posts? ...