Re: Can one determine from this Header .....

I'll be back later Guy - one query in line:

"Guy Macon" <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote in message

John D wrote:

Today , from another source ('ask Leo') I've again been directed to
'Uniblue' - here:
http://www1.uniblue.com/products/campaigns/ppc/rb/google/uk/stl/process-library/ask-leo/

Do you know anything about this organisation? Are they Genuine? Is it
some sort of 'con'?

John D wrote:

I've spent quite a while exploring the links you gave me - loads of
very
interesting 'stuff' (I hate that word!!)

Today , from another source ('ask Leo') I've again been directed to
'Uniblue' - here:
http://www1.uniblue.com/products/campaigns/ppc/rb/google/uk/stl/process-library/ask-leo/

Do you know anything about this organisation? Are they Genuine? Is it
some sort of 'con'?

I really appreciate your help and guidance. Thank you.

I have never run accross uniblue.com before. Just for fun, let me
detail how I investiate something like this.

I started investigating here:

http://www.google.com/search?uniblue.com
http://www.google.com/search?uniblue.com+review
http://www.google.com/search?uniblue.com+scam

*Each* of these links takes ME to *this* URL
http://www.google.com/webhp

I'm wondering why that should be!?!

The internet being what it is, I expect any product to have someone
claiming that it is a scam, but it has been my experience that real
scams result in warnings from well-known legitimate sources. In this
case I saw in the results of my search these pages:

http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?name=uniblue.com
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/uniblue.com/summary/

OK. I know that it isn't a scam. BTW, you were right to be suspicious;
lots of scams/malware pretend to be antivirus/security/cleanup
utilities.

I also found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E1681447939SF

Newegg is one of my favorite sites, and often has good info in the
reviews. This is a related product, but still an interesting read.
I wouldn't buy it though; CCleaner is free and does everything I need
in the area of registry cleanup.

OK, so it's not a scam. Now I need to ask, is the free scan actually
useful? Many times a "free scan" results in a page that says that
there are errors that you need to buy a product to fix.

So, being a brave person (who has a good backup plan and can restore
everything easily -- and who has tested the restore capability), I
decided to try it.

http://www.uniblue.com/ redirected me to http://www.liutilities.com/
where I found this: http://www.liutilities.com/products/freescans/
...none of which have the same filename as what is at the URL you
posted:
http://www1.uniblue.com/products/campaigns/ppc/rb/google/uk/stl/process-library/ask-leo/
http://download.uniblue.com/adv/ppc/rb/registryboosterppcg14.exe

Hmmm. Something special for "Ask Leo" (whoever that is)? back to
Google...

http://www.google.com/search?uniblue+%22ask+leo%22

which led me to...

http://ask-leo.com/whats_the_best_registry_cleaner.html

Interesting site!

OK, I will try the registryboosterppcg14.exe version.

First I downloaded it and scanned it using this tool:

http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus

Drat! "The size of a file exceeds 1024 Kb."

OK, I will use the free online scanner and have it
scan just the one file.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_services/free-virus-scanner.php
(Microsoft Internet Explorer Only)

While it is updating the data base, I will submit the file here:

http://www.virustotal.com/

OK, looks clean of viruses and malware.

Now to run it...

On the system I am on at the moment (Windows 2000 advanced server on
a quad pentium pro server) it started to install and then silently
exited without doing anything or giving any error message. That's
enough for me to conclude that I don't like it. It seems safe enough,
so you might want to try it and report the results here.

--
Guy Macon
<http://www.GuyMacon.com/>

  • Re: Can one determine from this Header .....
    ... 'Uniblue' - here: ... Are they Genuine? ... some sort of 'con'? ... I know that it isn't a scam. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Can one determine from this Header .....
    ... 'Uniblue' - here: ... Are they Genuine? ... some sort of 'con'? ... I know that it isn't a scam. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Amy Calistri
    ... >Is it really your argument that a person has to be "a babe in the woods" to have ... >What's your theory as to how Doyle saw this scam playing out when it was ... John Harkness ... >> woods" doesn't really fly. ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: phone company
    ... David - ... "John A. Weeks III" wrote: ... What about a job that requires a college degree? ... That sounds a lot less of a scam to me than spending ...
    (misc.consumers)
  • Re: Auctions for Income is a Scam
    ... Bible John wrote: ... > I ordered the kit and later realized this scam. ...
    (alt.marketing.online.ebay)