Re: Network in Vista

roalf wrote:

I was trying to fix a wireless problem in my kids Vista run laptop. I
was in the Networks box when another PC showed up on my network. I
clicked on it and it asked for user name and password and I could not
access it. The name on it was HCooper-XP and its workgroup was
tkccommunications. I pulled the plug on the modem and it went away,
of course, along with my kids name he assigned to his computer. I
plugged the modem back in and about 10 min later it popped back up. Is
someone accessing his computer. My XP machine was plugged into the
same modem and I couldn't see a thing in the Networks window just my
connection.

Why should I secure my wireless network?
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/75bbf83e-a80b-4dd4-966d-6da33924992c1033.mspx

What are the different wireless network security methods?
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/b385cc8a-af25-489e-a82e-decf6df26b681033.mspx

Set up a security key for a wireless network
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/044ee3ed-ab72-48c7-9515-95d56f925fcb1033.mspx

Making your network more secure
(scroll down to "Wireless network security recommendations")
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/bf6372bb-c95c-4b39-aa50-de7e5bf034681033.mspx

How to secure a wireless network
http://blogs.technet.com/steve_lamb/archive/2007/08/17/how-to-secure-a-wireless-network-part-1-enabling-wpa-on-a-wireless-router.aspx

--
Guy Macon
<http://www.GuyMacon.com/>

  • Re: Wireless Security for Business Use
    ... clients and it seems quite secure so far. ... > A VPN provides a secure tunnel over an IP network. ... > This means that someone might piggyback thru your wireless network ... > with an unbreakable encryption algorythm... ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • RE: Wireless: Key Confusion
    ... the secure wireless network access. ... Users that can provide the secure key will be able to access the ... wireless network from this type of unauthorized access. ... For IAS server and the AP, there is a shared secret ...
  • Re: Setting Up Network Security
    ... I have two computers able to access the network through MAC Filter ... how can I secure the wireless network more? ... I want to set the encryption to WPA2 - PSK with AES (I know the PSK is ...
  • Re: Wireless question
    ... I'll figure out how to get secure next ... > when we had to pick a network I was surprised to see like 12 choices!! ... Linksys and me. ... I have noticed that anyone nearby that has a wireless network ...
    (sci.med.transcription)
  • Re: Setting Up Network Security
    ... I currently have Broadcast SSID set to disabled ... I have two computers able to access the network through MAC Filter ... how can I secure the wireless network more? ... I want to set the encryption to WPA2 - PSK with AES (I know the PSK is ...