Network in Vista

I was trying to fix a wireless problem in my kids Vista run laptop. I
was in the Networks box when another PC showed up on my network. I
clicked on it and it asked for user name and password and I could not
access it. The name on it was HCooper-XP and its workgroup was
tkccommunications. I pulled the plug on the modem and it went away,
of course, along with my kids name he assigned to his computer. I
plugged the modem back in and about 10 min later it popped back up. Is
someone accessing his computer. My XP machine was plugged into the
same modem and I couldn't see a thing in the Networks window just my
connection.

  • Re: dell laptop dial-up over digital phone line
    ... modems and fax machines do not work well over digital phone ... adapter in your laptop then browse the area for available networks. ... dial-up modem. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Pls help - want to travel wirelessly and ckeck emails
    ... Cite any law that makes it 'illegal'. ... attaching to networks that aren't thiers by accident. ... Now I understand ignorance of the law is no excuse, ... I even did this on my laptop the other day with a neighbor's AP. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Keeping time synchronized
    ... CPU cycles - but modern CPUs switch frequencies all the time to save ... I think those tutorials are outdated, but there are other reasons ntpd may not be suitable for laptop use: ... Recent versions have the ability to deal with interfaces going up and down, but were never intended for typical laptop usage patterns (long periods off net, intermittent connections, assorted networks that may each provide different NTP servers, ...). ...
    (Fedora)
  • HELP: Wireless network issues
    ... I have a good knowledge of computers but not networks, ... I have managed to get my laptop and desktop to both say the signal ... I also want it so I have to log in every time i use my wireless so ...
  • Re: Linksys WRT54G and Firewall software
    ... be more than enough, but, if you take your laptop to other networks school, work, friends) it won't be enough in most cases.". ... then you really have to explain what would fill the "not enough" if the computer is in other networks. ... XP SP2 firewall in other networks and you are running a other brand ... Internet, a user would be some kind of fool not to run what an AV and some kind of PFW/personal packet filter or XP's FW/personal packet filter, if using the XP O/S or some other MS NT based O/S. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)