Re: BBC banned my IP

VanguardLH wrote:
meau wrote:

Why are you lying in your Organization header as to through which NNTP
provider you are posting?

I want to watch this BBC documentary with the iPlayer and it seems that when they detect an IP to be non UK they dont allow you to watch it.

And what would be the URL to that documentary (so OTHERS can test if
your assumption is correct)? "The BBC" doesn't say WHERE you were.

Other than finding a good UK proxy is it possible to get around this restriction?

Probably not if this the cause of the restriction.

I am British citizen living abroad I paid my taxes there surely the BBC should show some respect.

Why would the BBC care anything about you your paying taxes?

The BBC is funded by the television licence fee in the UK, which is to all intents and purposes a tax levied on all television users. Presumably as an ex-pat you are not paying the licence fee. So why should you have access to the BBC's output? I don't know if it is true, but it does not seem unreasonable. They do provide radio output free of charge to overseas listeners, both on short-wave and on the internet.

Tim Jackson

  • Re: BBC banned my IP
    ... Tim Jackson wrote: ... Why would the BBC care anything about you your paying taxes? ... Presumably as an ex-pat you are not paying the licence fee. ... They do provide radio output free of ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: BBC seeks increase to licence fee
    ... >> because people do watch the occasional BBC programme means that they ... obliged to pay for it in order to partake of something else). ... There are so many things wrong with the licence fee, ... >> households, even if only 1.8% of the total. ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Clueless Lords want us to line the pockets of Commercial Television stars with licence fee money
    ... Not only will that save money for the ITV, it will also save money for the BBC who will no longer have to match them. ... That should put another £500 million to £1 billion back in the hands of the ITV and a similar amount back in the hands of BBC licence fee payers. ... BBC licence fee should help support rivals' regional shows, say Lords ... Part of the BBC licence fee should be diverted to support programming such as regional news and arts on rival commercial broadcasters, a parliamentary committee has said. ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Downton Dialogue
    ... Licence Fee which is paid by every household which receives broadcast TV ... There is no longer a Radio Licence Fee, so BBC Radio is also funded from ... Licensing Authority, which passes the money to the BBC. ... > the television licence fees and enforcement of the television ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: in The Times today...... "Play Like Hendrix"
    ... What - in the news stories? ... Plus all the BBC bashing of course, ... decades on the back of the licence fee we would all be spending a damn ... I am also not disputing the evilness of murdoch. ...
    (uk.music.guitar)