Re: Legality of decrypting passwords

Tell us which company you work for so we can all avoid it.
a) you should not be able to decrypt the password. What kind of bad system
do you use?
b) It may be illegal, and it may definitely be against company policy.

onthax@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hello,

I am having an argument with a coworker, who thinks it is fine to
decrypt users passwords to migrate files, as it is faster and more
convenient than having the users resetting their passwords.

I am sure this is almost never necessary, is a horrible invasion of
privacy, and quite possibly illegal.

Can anyone shed light on if this is legal or not, and if signing away
your data to the company would extend to them having the right to
decrypt your passwords?

Any legal cases would be extra useful

Cheers

  • Re: A secure hand cipher?
    ... infobahn wrote: ... > David Eather wrote: ... cheating and to provide cribs and other clues for those atempting a decrypt. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Apple iOS Key Escrow
    ... It gets all bits from the phones, like keys and passwords. ... passwords can prevent toolkit success. ... which is needed to decrypt must of what is one the device) ... use six letters from which should bump the average crack time to ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: store passwords securely in the internet
    ... You may encrypt and decrypt al your passwords just on client side using ... If someone entered a wrong masterpassword, the program will decrypt the container with this wrong ... masterpassword, then it checks the header and will see that it was a wrong masterpassword and gives you an error. ... With this masterpassword every password you want to save will encrypt with blowfish. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Encrypting Passwords
    ... "A-Password" is the password the user uses to login to the webpage ... "KEY" is a randomly generated 16char string which is the key to decrypt ... "B-Passwords" are the crypted passwords from the DB for the ... How safe is it to send POST-Data to a third-party homepage. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: Encrypting Passwords
    ... The words "decrypting stored passwords" alarms me. ... a blog and have forgotten your login-data. ... The script generates the login-formular of the forum or blog and ... Since I don't want to be ABLE to decrypt any passwords from my friends ...
    (comp.lang.php)