Re: Legality of decrypting passwords

Tell us which company you work for so we can all avoid it.
a) you should not be able to decrypt the password. What kind of bad system
do you use?
b) It may be illegal, and it may definitely be against company policy.

onthax@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hello,

I am having an argument with a coworker, who thinks it is fine to
decrypt users passwords to migrate files, as it is faster and more
convenient than having the users resetting their passwords.

I am sure this is almost never necessary, is a horrible invasion of
privacy, and quite possibly illegal.

Can anyone shed light on if this is legal or not, and if signing away
your data to the company would extend to them having the right to
decrypt your passwords?

Any legal cases would be extra useful

Cheers
.