Re: Legality of decrypting passwords

In article <dfba3ce1-64df-48b6-9872-05116c7954f6
@m45g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, onthax@xxxxxxxxx says...
Hello,

I am having an argument with a coworker, who thinks it is fine to
decrypt users passwords to migrate files, as it is faster and more
convenient than having the users resetting their passwords.

I am sure this is almost never necessary, is a horrible invasion of
privacy, and quite possibly illegal.

Can anyone shed light on if this is legal or not, and if signing away
your data to the company would extend to them having the right to
decrypt your passwords?

Any legal cases would be extra useful

What does company policy say?

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
spam999free@xxxxxxxxxx (remove 999 for proper email address)

  • Re: Legality of decrypting passwords
    ... I am having an argument with a coworker, who thinks it is fine to ... decrypt users passwords to migrate files, as it is faster and more ... convenient than having the users resetting their passwords. ... Any legal cases would be extra useful ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Legality of decrypting passwords
    ... I am having an argument with a coworker, who thinks it is fine to ... decrypt users passwords to migrate files, as it is faster and more ... convenient than having the users resetting their passwords. ... Any legal cases would be extra useful ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Legality of decrypting passwords
    ... I am having an argument with a coworker, who thinks it is fine to ... decrypt users passwords to migrate files, as it is faster and more ... convenient than having the users resetting their passwords. ... Any legal cases would be extra useful ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: security question
    ... and passwords ... Ask them to tell you, watch them enter them, then you try it - if they ... Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a ... drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist" ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Password Protect files on a CDROM?
    ... > generated with some sort of secure randomness ... I'm just trying to keep some personal backup files at ... 50 separate passwords I have to keep up with. ... Of course it is against company policy to write them down, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)