Legality of decrypting passwords

Hello,

I am having an argument with a coworker, who thinks it is fine to
decrypt users passwords to migrate files, as it is faster and more
convenient than having the users resetting their passwords.

I am sure this is almost never necessary, is a horrible invasion of
privacy, and quite possibly illegal.

Can anyone shed light on if this is legal or not, and if signing away
your data to the company would extend to them having the right to
decrypt your passwords?

Any legal cases would be extra useful

Cheers

  • Re: Legality of decrypting passwords
    ... I am having an argument with a coworker, who thinks it is fine to ... decrypt users passwords to migrate files, as it is faster and more ... convenient than having the users resetting their passwords. ... Any legal cases would be extra useful ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Legality of decrypting passwords
    ... I am having an argument with a coworker, who thinks it is fine to ... decrypt users passwords to migrate files, as it is faster and more ... convenient than having the users resetting their passwords. ... Any legal cases would be extra useful ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Legality of decrypting passwords
    ... decrypt users passwords to migrate files, as it is faster and more ... convenient than having the users resetting their passwords. ... What does company policy say? ... Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • cracking local admin account
    ... I have an employee who apparently has a way of cracking local administrative ... passwords. ... don't know how he's done it except that I was told by a coworker that a ... floppy disk of some sort was invovled. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Login/Logout
    ... Ahhhh, yes. ... to a coworker of mine that helped me with this one. ... Search online help for passwords and select ... > When I installed SPS 2003, I've logged in as Administrator and checked ...
    (microsoft.public.sharepoint.portalserver.development)