Re: Help with AVG Anti-virus email scanning

Ertugrul Söylemez wrote:

"Sebastian G." <seppi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What's wrong with HTML emails without remote content?
<!doctype stupid><html><head><meta name="foo"
readible if the receiver's client doesn't support HTML.</body></html>

That's why usually there is also a text/plain part.

usually = not quite often?

What about MIME? There the plain/text part you get just reads "This is a multipart MIME message".

Because there's no standard for it, neither de-jure nor de-facto?
because there is a standard to include some basic formatting
(text/enriched)? [...]

MIME is a standard. It allows multipart-emails. HTML is also a
standard. Together with a standard MIME type name for HTML, that makes
HTML mails completely standardized.

No. It makes HTML files as attachments standardized.

Because it's a waste or bandwidth?

A waste of bandwidth? A few kilobytes per person per day?

Would you please think of the children^W dial-up users?

Demanding CR/LF instead of
sole LF for telnet-like protocols (including HTTP) must be a waste also.

No. Actually I think the CR/LF interpretation is the correct one, and HTTP is supposed to be human-readable on pure terminals.

You want to know, what _really_ is a waste today? Two people from the
same local subnet listening to the same internet radio station -- that
_is_ a waste of traffic.

Well, it's not like my systems would deny the usage of multicast. You have to blame my ISP.

Because eMail isn't supposed to emit any formatting?

Oh yeah, everything that was made up in the 70s and 80s was ultimate.
There is no reason for inventions. In fact, we don't even need X11 or
OpenGL. Back to phosphor terminals!

Stupid. If you want a protocol for formatted documents, then either propose a standard extension to eMail or a completely new protocol.

Because HTML is meant for hypertext, not formatted documents?

Maybe HTML 1.0 was. Today, hypertext is one of many features of HTML.

Hypertext is the primary feature of HTML, even today.

  • Re: Help with AVG Anti-virus email scanning
    ... No, that's the prolog of the MIME message, before the first part stats, ... because there is a standard to include some basic formatting ... MIME is a standard. ... Together with a standard MIME type name for HTML, ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: [9fans] Heresy alert, Zerox -> Clone
    ... or are you actually calling this catastrophe of a standard ... the MIME headers have facilitated in no minor manner the ... unlikely things into a text based protocol, ... It's probably going to be just as impossible to kill MIME as it is to ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: Q: acceptible extensions to attributes?
    ... accepted by standards compliant software and can be reliably added. ... long as the syntax is correct then mime software just passes them thru ... MIME is a standard for specifying types for data interchange, while HTML *is* a type, and it's an application of SGML, a standard for describing document types. ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html)
  • Re: Q: acceptible extensions to attributes?
    ... Malcolm Dew-Jones wrote: ... :> long as the syntax is correct then mime software just passes them thru ... MIME is a standard for specifying types: for data interchange, while HTML *is* a type, ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html)
  • Re: OT: HTML (WAS: MF having issues?)
    ... Even though he is only serving up static HTML pages and has no idea how they work or the fine points of the language, he has a very professional looking site that he built in about an hour. ... Oliver, I can't address HTML but as a golden rule, regardless of which language/tool you use there MUST BE a STANDARD - otherwise you finish up with those inconsistencies you cited. ... The eventual standard used the syntax 'Repository' instead of 'Class-Control', which Fujitsu had from Day One. ... John Piggott - I met him only once at Newbury, for a J4 meeting in 2000, sat next to our Robert Jones who used to trundle up from Gloucester, not as a member, but as a developer contributing ideas. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)